Check for Duplicate name on registration

2 years 9 months ago #325544 by lynnapp
Hi,
On the site I have I have members who don't remember stuff, like if they registered before, what the username is or don't have access to their old email ...

So they just re-register with a different username and email. We would like to check if the name they use is a duplicate and let them know that they should contact us for help in retrieving their old account or something.

How would I go about this.

I have found this joomla.stackexchange.com/questions/15344/check-a-form-field-for-duplicates-before-saving
but I don't know where to put it. And I figure it could be done with actions and such

Thank you

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2 years 9 months ago #325548 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Check for Duplicate name on registration
Do you want to block the registration if it's a duplicate or just output some kind of warning? If you want to block the registration you can use CB Query Field for that. It provides Query validation that lets you validate a field with a custom database query. You'd just query the name against _users if using single name field or against _comprofiler if using split name fields. Just some kind of warning will be more complicated though as there isn't a built in usage for that and you'd have to implement one.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn