The ongoing CB + blog debate

17 years 6 months ago #24385 by zANavAShi
The ongoing CB + blog debate was created by zANavAShi
Hiya Joomlapolians,

I am just wondering if one of the mods here could move this thread (which is locked due to the CB 1.0 RC2 Discussions forum being closed now) over to this forum so we can continue on with the discussion and follow up on some very excellent suggestions that had been contributed in the thread...

www.joomlapolis.com/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,38/func,view/id,10641/catid,11/

From searching this site for member opinions on multi-user blogs that integrate nicely with CB, I can see there is a lot of interest in the topic of a clean stable blog addon which is free of the problems that some of the existing blog components have.

I for one would love to see some active development in this area and keep the discussion alive to encourage those who have the skills to pursue a CB blog.

Thanks for reading and considering my request :)

Cheers,
Zana

[edit] Or perhaps it is better to move it to the Open Area/General Requests forum, since it is not version specific?

Post edited by: zANavAShi, at: 2006/11/11 03:32

Please Log in to join the conversation.

17 years 5 months ago #25074 by Switch
Replied by Switch on topic Re:The ongoing CB + blog debate
I was thinking about this the other day. It seems to me that Joomla itself is a blogging system of sorts. I would very much like to see a plugin that takes advantage of this. My idea is as follows.

The plugin creates a new content section called - user blogs.
When a member registers a new content category is created with their username as the title. Thus every member has a content category in the section - user blogs.

Thus it is a relatively simple addition to create a submit new blog entry tab, (this exists already in Joomla!) and a display recent blog entries tab/view all entries tab (with pagination) This tab would just pull content from the user's category. Easy

Only one real hack, to only allow the users to submit to their own blog.

This is all using Joomla standard features, just combining it all in one place. The only downside to this is that the user cannot create their ownsub categories (due to the restricted hierachy of categories) unless this was hacked using jacl or whatever that ext is.

This should be a relatively easy job for someone who know's their way around Joomla!

Just my 2 cents

17 years 4 months ago #27275 by zANavAShi
Replied by zANavAShi on topic Re:The ongoing CB + blog debate
Thanks for your reply Switch.

I have pondering about what you said for a few weeks, exploring some addons that extend content control and generally wondering how we could use the power of the native Joomla content system itself rather than having to add a new blogging content component.

So far my thoughts are moving more in favour of using the Joomla content system itself and trying to figure out a way where authors can only post their articles (blogs) to a certain category. I'm test driving JACLPlus for this purpose at the moment and will report back my findings if they are of use to the discussion.

As far as displaying members blog content goes, I see that as being done quite simply through the existing blog frontpage display. And with Community Builder installed, members can view others member profiles to see a listing of their latest content submissions.

I am not so sure about the need for individual categories for each members blog articles, and still sitting on the fence as regards to that idea. The other main issue that I am pondering on is how I could create a custom submit link so that members new submissions are automatically posted in the correct place.

Another random brainwave I had was if it might be possible with the CB content tab to customise it so that only members articles from one particular sub-section would be listed in there.

OK I'm all pondered-out now. Thanks again for sharing your ideas :)

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.260 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn