Required for registration fields lost forever!

15 years 6 months ago #78205 by cshupp
On Joomla 1.5 w/CB 1.1

Suppose you create a field titled 'address' such that 'Required' = true, 'Profile' = true, 'Registration' = true, and 'Published' = true.

If your 'whiny' users complain about your publication of the 'address' field and you change this field to 'Published' = false then it disappears completely. Thus admins looking for this field in the admin console under 'User Management' Cannot see the entries for the existing users. The users cannot see their own address to update it, and new users cannot see it in the registration screen to satisfy the initial requirements! The only positive thing is users cannot see this field for other users...

Please help!

Thanks,

Cris

My system info if needed:

PHP Built on: Linux your.site5.com 2.6.9-78.0.1.ELsmp #1 SMP Tue Aug 5 11:02:47 EDT 2008 i686
Database Version: 4.1.22-standard-log
Database Collation: utf8_general_ci
PHP Version: 4.4.8
Web Server: Apache/2.2.8 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.7a mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635
Web Server to PHP interface: cgi
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.6 Production/Stable [ Vusani ] 12-August-2008 22:00 GMT
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.0.2) Gecko/2008091620 Firefox/3.0.2

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 6 months ago #78229 by Rapunzl
This is proper behavior of CB 1.1. Only published fields will show to anyone.

Jamie (Rapunzl)
Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read all CB Articles | Specially the FAQ | Help us help you
CB links: Subscribe to CB documentation | [url=http://www.joomlapolis.com/content/view/7363/37/
]Our templates[/url] | [url=http://www.joomlapolis.com/content/blogcategory/61/74/
]Paid Subscriptions[/url] | Get Hosting | Our Forge
Visit my CB Profile

My personal site Rapunzl's Reality always under reconstruction

15 years 6 months ago #78267 by cshupp
I'll respectfully disagree...

It is NOT how 1.1 was designed. There IS a bug! CB 1.1 is able to respect your initial setup just not changes you make to it.

So if I choose not to publish something (when I initially set up my fields) I see an Icon telling me
"This Field IS NOT visible on profile", but the registration screen still collects the data, and if it is required it forces the user to supply it.

If you change some required field from published to unpublished the registration screen no longer even gathers it. Also I cannot see the field in the admin console...

I should be able to switch from published to unpublished and have the registration icon switch from "This Field IS visible on profile" to "This Field IS NOT visible on profile". I cannot. I should see the field in the admin console regardless.

Again, remember if I initially setup the fields as unpublished and required CB works as desired.

Cris

Post edited by: cshupp, at: 2008/10/26 18:13

15 years 6 months ago #78278 by nant
cshupp wrote:

I'll respectfully disagree...

It is NOT how 1.1 was designed. There IS a bug! CB 1.1 is able to respect your initial setup just not changes you make to it.

So if I choose not to publish something (when I initially set up my fields) I see an Icon telling me
"This Field IS NOT visible on profile", but the registration screen still collects the data, and if it is required it forces the user to supply it.

If you change some required field from published to unpublished the registration screen no longer even gathers it. Also I cannot see the field in the admin console...

I should be able to switch from published to unpublished and have the registration icon switch from "This Field IS visible on profile" to "This Field IS NOT visible on profile". I cannot. I should see the field in the admin console regardless.

Again, remember if I initially setup the fields as unpublished and required CB works as desired.

Cris

Post edited by: cshupp, at: 2008/10/26 18:13

If a field is not published, then it does not appear anywhere. That's the way CB has always worked.

Now marking a published field to have the property Profile=Yes will allow the field to appear in frontend (if it has a populated value in it). If it also has the property Show on Registration = Yes, then this field will appear during registration and it will also show up in the profile.

Post edited by: nant, at: 2008/10/26 20:16

15 years 6 months ago #78292 by cshupp

Now marking a published field to have the property Profile=Yes will allow the field to appear in frontend (if it has a populated value in it). If it also has the property Show on Registration = Yes, then this field will appear during registration and it will also show up in the profile.

Both of these properties are set. They do not show up. Changing the publication property to yes causes them to show up again. Is there some other setting I can look at somewhere?

Thanks,

Cris

15 years 6 months ago #78293 by beat
cshupp wrote:

On Joomla 1.5 w/CB 1.1

Suppose you create a field titled 'address' such that 'Required' = true, 'Profile' = true, 'Registration' = true, and 'Published' = true.

If your 'whiny' users complain about your publication of the 'address' field and you change this field to 'Published' = false then it disappears completely. Thus admins looking for this field in the admin console under 'User Management' Cannot see the entries for the existing users. The users cannot see their own address to update it, and new users cannot see it in the registration screen to satisfy the initial requirements! The only positive thing is users cannot see this field for other users...

Maybe this does what you maybe want: ;)

'Required' = FALSE, 'Profile' = FALSE, 'Registration' = true, and 'Published' = true.

?

published = false is really like the field doesn't exist...

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn