CB Apps (like mypace apps)

15 years 6 months ago #77779 by krileon
CB Apps (like mypace apps) was created by krileon
I'm interested in starting a new project. A project that allows other developers to tap into the information from CB.

Similar to myspace apps.

Essentially myspace apps are just flash applications that tap into your information. I've seen this doable with puarcade. So I know it can be done by making an external call to a php file.

What if it's possible to allow flash apps to tap into the information from CBs database?

We could then have users sign up for a "Developer Profile" which allows them to create and submit apps to your site designed with CB. Users could then ad them to their profile similar to myspace and other social networks.

Sound cool? You bet your ass it does! lol.

Well I've got the idea and that's about it. I'm not entirely sure to go about it. I do own a full licensed version of Flash CS3 so I am capable of testing all of this on my local server.

I'm just not quite sure how to develop a php file that allows the flash file to retrieve data. I've looked at the puarcade method and understand how it's submitting the data, but we need 2 way communication with the flash app. So this way developers can store the data so users can play games like the popular Dragon Wars and such on our sites.

I'm going to do some more digging and see what I can come up with. Likely this will be a dead end project, but if we all work together and pool our knowledge it just might be doable.

So if anyone's interested and has some pointers or something then feel free to post um.

An alternative is to have the API designed around Javascript and just forget flash, which seams much much more doable for making the external calls.

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2008/10/20 01:43

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 6 months ago #77782 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:CB Apps (like mypace apps)
Found something very very interesting.

code.google.com/apis/opensocial/container.html

Google has an API platform for social networks. They allow basically anyone to join. I've looked through the documents and it actually appears relatively easy.

First takes though is to develop a component that'll house the apps then develop a plugin to add the apps to users profiles.

Another approach is just make the component and provide embed codes so users can post their apps anywhere they want on their profiles.

I'll have to think of how I want to do this, but looks like we've found an answer.

This is a much better approach then developing our own API.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

15 years 6 months ago #77809 by iosoft.in
Replied by iosoft.in on topic Re:CB Apps (like mypace apps)
Very interesting :)

Have you started the development of the 'container' ?

I am subscribing this thread, keep us informed :)

15 years 6 months ago #77810 by iosoft.in
Replied by iosoft.in on topic Re:CB Apps (like mypace apps)
also, I want to add that there is a JS 'container' for OpenSocial.

incubator.apache.org/shindig/

I think, now you have to integrate Shindig with Joomla+CB and create a Control-Panel for it.

15 years 6 months ago #77855 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:CB Apps (like mypace apps)
Hi Krileon,

We believe that wherever possible, javascript is a better way forward than flash, in terms of browsers-compatibility.

Re shindig: We are aware of, and closely following this incubator project (and a few others as well), as well as openSocial's progress, looking forward to their maturity. :)

I don't think that a separate component is needed, a CB plugin is all what's needed with the new CB 1.2 framework ;)

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

15 years 6 months ago #77856 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:CB Apps (like mypace apps)
Sorry for the delay everyone. I just launched my new layout for my site. Pretty neat, check it out if you like.

I was thinking of a separate component for users to browse the apps. The API is wonderful, but browsing within profile may become a bit cumbersome.

I have not constructed the container yet, but I will begin this project once I have the funds to maintain a dedicated server as my host will not install the required libraries for me on a shared business server (only 5 people a server and they still won't do it.. uhg).

So I'm moving forward with my next project. Gifts. Allowing users to give gifts to other users using jAwards as the gift manager. This won't be that easy to accomplish, but I believe it's doable. It'll take time, but I'll get it done eventually. Unfortunately I won't be releasing this plugin to the public (I've given out nearly everything already, lol.. can't have everyone running around with features exclusive to my site :P )

The google progress looks very promising though. I've already read the entire documents and understand how to make the container. Just unfortunate that I can't do it yet, lol.

I could begin development on my local server, but I doubt I'd get to even launch that feature this year. So I'm holding it off for the time being.

Sorry to disappoint those really interested. However when I do complete development I will make it freely available.. open source as always. :laugh:

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.341 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn