Terrified to even begin!

15 years 6 months ago #78054 by holly_day
Terrified to even begin! was created by holly_day
Hi all.
I have become a document subscriber and have been looking forward to upgrading to CB 1.2 RC 3.

However having read through the upgrade instructions I am absolutely terrified to even contemplate beginning an upgrade, this is because the instructions are so very confusing for a newbie like myself.

I am wondering if anyone knows of any instructions which may have been produced which are straight forward and in plain English, an idiots guide if you like?

Yours hopefully Holly. :blush:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 6 months ago #78057 by beat
Take a deep breath :)

Then if you are upgrading the normal way, it's quite easy:

0) backup site including keeping a copy of ue_config.php

1) uninstall component and modules (but not CB plugins)

2) reinstall component and modules, and also the additional CB plugins you had)

3) restore your ue_config.php

Now the above is short and easy, but maybe not fool-proof, but you can now read the very detailed instructions in README keeping in mind that it's mainly the above ;)

We are really looking forward for help to rewrite the README file in a simpler way. So anybody please reply directly in here any improvement proposals :)

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

15 years 6 months ago #78075 by salesgorilla
Replied by salesgorilla on topic Re:Terrified to even begin!
I've got to back Beat up here. I was very surprised that my test upgrade went so well - very easy. But I do agree that the upgrade instructions are very intimidating.

I will not do my full upgrade until a few more of the plug-ins that I use are ready.

15 years 6 months ago #78079 by holly_day
Replied by holly_day on topic Re:Terrified to even begin!
Well, I went ahead and did it, first on my test site which is on my local server, this upgrade went swimmingly, yes, as stated in the instructions, I had to reinstall the tab plug ins for some extensions I had but that is no big deal really.

So I went ahead and did the upgrade on my live site, upgrade went ok but, I lost all of my groups from group jive, they have gone completely. And joom gallery disappeared, it seems that the upgrade uninstalled it, at least I couldnt find it anywhere and so had to reinstall it.

But it is up and running now, I will give it a full test later to see if there are any errors anywhere.

Regards Holly. :dry:

15 years 6 months ago #78106 by holly_day
Hi everyone, how are you all this evening?
I have now done a complete test of my live site since upgrading my CB, and now I find that I am left with a huge headache.

I cannot install anything, I have tried all three ways of installing extensions and templates but to no avail. I have even uninstalled extensions which I know work but now they wont install.

Everything gives me the same message which is:

"* Error! Could not find a Joomla! XML setup file in the package.
* Path does not have a valid package."

Has anyone else had this problem after the upgrade?

Regards Holly :(

15 years 6 months ago #78109 by holly_day
OK, I have just had a thought, could this problem be something to do with permissions on the files. If it is, does anyone know which files I should be checking and what permissions to set.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn