[#3552] Making Users into Banner Clients

11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #201689 by marriage_minded_man
[#3552] Making Users into Banner Clients was created by marriage_minded_man
I have a group of users (in a specific user group), that I would like to offer banner rotations to. Nothing extravagant. Just equal random banner rotation as a value added service to my users.

Is there a way to make these users into banner clients and allow them to upload 1 banner into their profile to have it displayed as part of the rotation?

Initially I was thinking to; have them upload the banner into their Gallery and name it something specific like banner_468x60.gif and then have a script in the banner details that pulls these images from each directory. But then I'd need to specify which user ids i want in the rotation and if someone deletes theirs it becomes a hassle. And in addition the gallery names the images a random name and I'd need to have them input the link somehow. Just not practical.

Is there a way I can do this smoothly? Have the users upload the banner and have it go into the rotation.

Or maybe I need something more sophisticated? Or to make the users into banner clients somehow.

Not sure where to go from here. Is there anything out there that allows users to become banner clients also and manage their banners? Maybe this ticket can double as a feature request???

Please Log in to join the conversation.

11 years 11 months ago #201723 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Making Users into Banner Clients

Is there a way to make these users into banner clients and allow them to upload 1 banner into their profile to have it displayed as part of the rotation?

CB has no such integration to Joomlas banners. There's like some sort of extension available at Joomla.org to allow for this however.

I suppose you could use CB Auto Actions after the profile update trigger using a query action to insert into the banners database a client and banner on the users behalf. You could use an image field or something of the sort to upload the image.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

11 years 10 months ago #201859 by marriage_minded_man
Replied by marriage_minded_man on topic Re: Making Users into Banner Clients
Can someone give me a hint as to what the name of the extension is.

I cant seem to find anything.

11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #201861 by marriage_minded_man
Ok. How about I simplify this.

I'll have my users in this group put in the banner URL and the Link URL in 2 separate text fields.

All I really want is to include everyone in a random rotation so that their banners show up every now and then.

Can I somehow in the banner itself, when put a script that will pick these fields at random and display them. So that I would just create 1 banner that will include the script which will pull these two CB fields and use them as the image and the link at random from this pool of users? I guess it would be kind of like a cb query inside a banner.

What do you think???

There would need to be an IF statement as well. If both fields are populated then display image and link. ????

I still cant find anything that will do this on the Joomla.org site.

11 years 10 months ago #201890 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Making Users into Banner Clients
I suppose you could use CB ProfileGallery and let them upload images and use the included module which can do random rotation of images. Alternative is you'll need to use CB Auto Actions with a Query action after registration and/or profile update to push the banner (using the 2 text fields information) to Joomlas banner database.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

11 years 10 months ago #201929 by marriage_minded_man
If I use the first method with the CB Profile Gallery, can I link the images to their website URL? How would this be done.

The second method, I will need to learn more bout queries and how to do this. Which one do you think is best?

I sort of like the idea of them hosting their own images somewhere else. and me just taking the URL for the image and the link. I just need to know how to do that second method, pushing the fields to the Joomla banner DB.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.262 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn