[#5748] Category search entry doesn't clear in Groupjive

8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #276888 by LineMine
Hi
This seems to be a small bug; when I do a group search in Groupjive at the category level, the search box entry won't clear easily. You can delete the text in the search box, and then click on either a menu item which leads to the category, or even the category link on the group page, and the search text re-appears, and consequently the only group(s) listed are those found under the search term.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

8 years 3 months ago #276899 by krileon
You just need to empty the search box and that's it. It works the same way as all the search inputs throughout CB. This is to allow back navigation and pagination to function with your search. If the input it self won't clear then ensure you've latest GJ 3.0.1 nightly as you could be experiencing a bug already fixed. Searches will persist with page loads.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LineMine

8 years 3 months ago #276911 by LineMine
I'm just a bit concerned. I can see searches should persist with page loads, but surely if the search box is cleared and then a user hits refresh or reloads the page, the search result should have cleared as well? I've just loaded the latest nightly build, and I'm getting the same result: a persistent search, and despite clearing the box, hitting reload or a menu item brings the search text back up. The only way it clears is to do another search with the box blank.

8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #276929 by krileon
Reloading a page submits nothing. So no, that won't clear the search. They need to submit the form and that's done by clearing the search. You would need to clear the search then just stare at the screen for it to do nothing. The input needs to lose focus or you need to press enter to submit it. If it submitted during typing then it'd be very problematic to search anything more than a single word.

If losing focus (clicking outside of the input) doesn't submit then you could have a JS error preventing its JS from submitting the form. Press F12 to open the developer console, select the Console tab, then refresh the page and retry to see if any fatal (should be red) errors appear in the console.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

8 years 3 months ago #277008 by LineMine
Okay, apologies for not being a bit more precise; of course I wasn't just reloading the page, without clearing the search box. That's exactly what I have been trying to do, clear the search box, and then either try a page reload, or click on a menu item to select the category.
In both these cases, the search box recalls the previous search, ie the text used to perform the search re-appears, and I'm sure it shouldn't be doing this. It means that search is in effect performing unsolicited searches on any click subsequent to the initial search, despite clearing the box. The only way to clear the search seems to be by making a search with the box blank, or clicking on the mainbody area, again with the search box empty.

I have tried looking at this with Firebug, but no errors are showing up under the console tab, so I've left the site online in the hope that you can take a quick look?
Home page is here:
piercounselling.co.uk/

Many thanks.

8 years 3 months ago #277021 by krileon

That's exactly what I have been trying to do, clear the search box, and then either try a page reload, or click on a menu item to select the category.

Neither of those are correct or would work due to page navigation. Clear the input and press enter or lose focus of the input (click any non-link location of your site). Clicking another link will navigate to that link and cancel the form submit so it never submits your form clear.

The only way to clear the search seems to be by making a search with the box blank, or clicking on the mainbody area, again with the search box empty.

That's exactly what you're supposed to do and is exactly how it and all the other search input usages throughout CBs plugins are designed.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.632 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn