Effective Use of CBProfilebook

14 years 11 months ago #101359 by tarbania
Effective Use of CBProfilebook was created by tarbania
Please comment on any part of this.

How can I effectively use the profilebook extensions on a site that will be somewhat social?

I may be naive but I would like to have a guest book that any site guest can sign without being registered and perhaps a guestbook for those who are registered and a way that somebody wanting to read guestbook entries could select to read both books together perhaps in time sequence.

Does or will the profilebook use captcha? If it does or will then I don;t have to worry as much about computer generated spam.

The open guest book notion for all site visitors may not work over time because of spammers but I would at least like to see.

I have installed the CBProfilebook and I like it. I was thinking of creating a general profile not associated with a particular user and that could be the site guest book. I thought I could do this by creating a CB Profile that was generic such as mysiteguestbook or just guestbook or whatever.

I guess I am not sure that I tune into how the blog and the book and the wall can be used to share information. I know I can and do have the Kunena forum working. I was just wondering if there is more that I can do to effectively use these nice new offerings which are admittedly in RC not fully stable status.

If somebody knows of a document that explains how to host a guest book and blog and wall and forum site in the most effective fashion -- not in config option terminology but in terms of what it is that I should be offering to look professional using these tools, I would appreciate knowing.

Of course I welcome suggestions from the body.

Thank you.

Tarbania

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 11 months ago #101391 by Deinticker
Replied by Deinticker on topic Re:Effective Use of CBProfilebook
Did you mean a Guestbook for the whole site ? extensions.joomla.org/extensions/contacts-&-feedback/guest-book :dry:

Post edited by: Deinticker, at: 2009/06/08 14:26

14 years 11 months ago #101426 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:Effective Use of CBProfilebook
in CB ProfileBook 1.2 RC 2:

- CB Captcha is supported
- public writing is supported
- a module displaysc comment timeline-wise exists

Check the CB ProfileBook 1.2 RC 2 plugin params :)

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

14 years 11 months ago #101427 by tarbania
Replied by tarbania on topic Re:Effective Use of CBProfilebook
Deinticker,

Yes, that is exactly what I meant.

I had not ever cared about a guest gook until I recently installed the CB 1.2.1 and all of the little goodies it provided in the files section -- including CB Profilebook.

Considering CB as an extension is profile oriented, I am now tuning in to why its extension for a guest book would be profile oriented rather than full site.

In your opinion do I need to be tuned into whether the Guestbook supports CB? Thank you for the listing.

The CB Profilebook software, though in various stages of release candidacy, also provides a profile blog. Do you see any reason why a blog tied to a profile would be a disadvantage as opposed to s site-wide blog? Is there a site-wide blog or blogging technique that is prevalent in the Joomla 1.5 / CB community?

Thank you very much for your perspective. All the tools in the world cannot give one perspective.

Tarbania

14 years 11 months ago #101436 by tarbania
Replied by tarbania on topic Re:Effective Use of CBProfilebook
There is a picture icon of a lock on CBProfileBook and CBPrivacy. Is this normal?

The parms in the CBProfilebook plugin are few and non descript. I see nothing there to make a guestbook visible outside a profile.

I do not know what this means:
"a module displaysc comment timeline-wise exists"

Is there a module named displaysc someplace?

Thank you

Tarbania

14 years 11 months ago #101438 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Effective Use of CBProfilebook
tarbania wrote:

I do not know what this means:
"a module displaysc comment timeline-wise exists"

This means this:

www.joomlapolis.com/component/option,com_docman/task,doc_details/gid,155/

Moderators: beatnantkrileon