[SOLVED] Mass registration emails sent at once?

14 years 1 month ago #127864 by jakobe75
I know that by using CBJuice or UserPort that you can mass import very complex CSV lists of users and their pre-populated fields.

MY quesiton is, I know how to use CBjuice, and even though CBjuice has a gen password and gen username function and then the ability to send the imported users a message that says..

"Hey You, this is your new login info!
username: bob
password: asdf1234

This I am clear on.

but my issue is what if something goes wrong upon import?

like my phone number field is populated with data for my zip code field because I screwed up the csv files?

Well guess what? TOO LATE!! Because the system is buzzing away sending emails and users are visiting and filling my inbox up with..

"Hey did you know that my phone number is ........"
YES, YES ,I KNOW ,I KNOW!!

I can see this happening, so I have been putting off importing my new userlist.

now, yes I know that you DON'T Have to send the registration email.

but then what good is that?

you just imported 12,000 users and nobody has a clue
that your site is ready for action.

So then you get into this complicated game of sending emails manually or using a newsletter begging users to come to the site and click
"forgot login" and going through that agonizing process of retrieving their username and password.

users are lazy, they will get lost, and the lost user/pass system will be pounded.

so.. this is my dilemma

It's a pain no matter if you are using CBJuice or UserPort.

Neither of those developers offer any solution of
delaying the email sending process until we check things out.

so
How can I do this in CB?

basically importing all of my users through whatever means necc. Then checking my profiles to make sure all is good.

AND THEN Clicking a magic button that says "Send registration emails"

So every reg'd user that was just imported gets a welcome mail containing the user details.

PERFECTION!

So now...one of two things are going to happen.

1. Somebody will chime in here and tell me this is already installed in CB or CBsubs by default or maybe that an addon of sorts can do this for me.

or

2. Somebody is going to break my heart
and tell me that this isnt possible. Then I will have no choice but to rage.

me:
J- 1.5.14
CB- 1.2.2
CBsubs- 1.0.3
php 5.x
dedicated box

Post edited by: jakobe75, at: 2010/03/24 03:26

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2010/03/30 22:21

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 1 month ago #127867 by jakobe75
Replied by jakobe75 on topic Re:Mass registration emails sent at once?
I guess another way to ask this would be a way to
email the contents of the cb fields

I could use a newsletter program and would include something like.

Hello, [cb_firstname]

This is your new account info.
username: [cb_username]
password: [cb_password]

click this link to login

Cheers!

14 years 1 month ago #127923 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Mass registration emails sent at once?

delaying the email sending process until we check things out.

You can't, password is only plaintext at 3 points in time. Directly after registration, login, or profile update if a new password is specified. Otherwise it is encrypted. CB Juice uses CB API likely to create users, this means password is plaintext for basically a split second.

How can I do this in CB?

You can't, you can import users as disabled/unconfirmed, etc... then enable them when your done inspecting things which will trigger the sending of Welcome email, but will not contain their password.

basically importing all of my users through whatever means necc. Then checking my profiles to make sure all is good.

I recommend making sure your data is correct BEFORE you import. If you prefer not to double or even triple check your data then I suggest importing all users as unapproved and no email (assuming CB Juice supports something as such), checking data, if all is good; delete all users, re-import as approved.

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2010/03/24 16:41

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

14 years 1 month ago #128077 by jakobe75
Yes I know I need to checked the data well..but human errors can still happen with thousands of users.

If the CB system can gen an email with the username and password..or even a random password.

Why cant this be done in bulk

1. I import my users
2. I painstakingly correct my errors
3. test my user profiles..they look good
4. click the magic button in CB that says send registration.

This function is already built in when the users request a password.

they get an email thats says

The user account Jakobe blah blah blah
password: 123456

Why not be able to do this in bulk?
to avoid making the user do it?
and if this is in any way possible , can you have it to me by Friday?

I see your method to import as unconfimrmed then check them out make sure its all good, THEN switch them to confirmed.
So you are sayign this will send them a mail to the email address on file?

So in this welcome mail could it be something like
Hello,[firstname],

You have a brand spankin new account at Cheezebrger.com that you should login to because its awesome.

Your username is [username]
Click here to have your super secret random password sent to you.
www.mydomain.com/whatever

Thanks
-Management

Then they click the link
it goes direct to the lost password page
they add their username, email addy and th captcha
click submit.

then they get another email that says this:
(this was the exact email I got from my testsite).

The user account jakobe has this email associated with it.
A web user from www.stripperhq.com/3 has just requested that a new password be sent.

Your New Password is: 3z8ymmag

If you didn't ask for this, don't worry. You are seeing this message, not them. If this was an error just log in with your new password and then change your password to what you would like it to be.

NOTE: This email was automatically generated from Cheezebrger.com (www.domain.com/)

can this be customized?

btw Friday is tomorrow...no rush.

14 years 1 month ago #128086 by jakobe75
okay I just tried to confirm some users using this method.

But there is a snag. How do I mass confirm? Clicking the little red X from my user control panel doesnt do anything.

I have to open each user individually.
yuk!

solution from the panel or is it phpMyadmin only?

and if I do this update via SQL query:
UPDATE `jos_comprofiler` SET `approved` = 1, `confirmed` = 1

Will they still get this email?
Welcome Goesinya,
Your registration has been approved!

Your account with the following details:
Email : kevin@bingbongbing.com
Username : Goesinya

has been activated.

Welcome aboard!

NOTE: This email was automatically generated from Cheezbrgr.com (www.billywumpa.com).

It would be awesome if included a newly gen'd password.

Got to be a way to mass confirm and mass send password reminders.

I mean if the user can do this publicly by just having the username and email..surely an admin can do this in bulk, right?

Post edited by: jakobe75, at: 2010/03/25 20:42

Post edited by: jakobe75, at: 2010/03/25 20:48

14 years 1 month ago #128199 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Mass registration emails sent at once?
Sorry, there is no mass confirm or quick confirm as there is quick approve and enable. You'd need to edit each individual user. Another option is to export your users then re-import with CB Juice as active (this should also generate a new password if CB Juice does something as such). Updating via database will not send emails.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.341 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn