Add Hosted Image Resizer to Profile Display

18 years 3 months ago #5349 by djsdjs
For an alumni site I run I needed to find an easy, web based method for non-technical users to resize their photos. With it being hosted I have the added benefit of not having people upload photos from 7 megapixel cameras and then resizing them with my server cycles or bandwidth. I have been able to add the tool DIRECTLY to the user profile display. The site I am using also does cropping now, but that is only available by visiting the site.
  1. Visit www.resize2mail.com and setup a special account to run the resizer from your site. Do this by clicking [webmasters] from the main page or clicking: www.resize2mail.com/users/index.cfm
  2. Use the form generator on resize2mail.com to build a form.
  3. Create an HTML webpage using the form code and upload it to your website where it is publically accessible. Customize the HTML form to remove options you do not want available to end users.
  4. Create a CB "delimiter" field that only shows on the profile.
  5. Within the delimiter field add an html iframe tag that points to the html page with the form you built.

Now at the bottom of every profile display there is a resize form. You must make the iframe big enough to accomodate the photo once it is resized and displayed.

I needed to add explanatory text so that people realized that the resizer was generating a photo they would need to download and then re-upload to their photo. I am a little concerned that people will still think that the re-size process is also uploading - this would be even more true if I had only displayed the delimiter field during profile edit. I also explained that it was a third party site doing the resize and that my site has no control over their privacy policy.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn