newbie alert-- flashchat and phpbb

18 years 1 month ago #9310 by vista
newbie alert-- flashchat and phpbb was created by vista
I get so frustrated when I know what I -want- to do, but I don't know how to do it or if it is even possible.

I have an existing forum on my site. larp.life-stream.net/forums

I have a working test of joomla with CB in a testing directory larp.life-stream.net/larpjoom/

I started to install the phpbb bridge, figuring I was going to have to backup my existing forum, install and use my backup to recover the posts and such-- is that right? In the installation process, it gave me the warning thar visitors will have to register through the forums now, NOT through the login on the portal. does CB have a way to take the existing usernames/passwords form the forums and use them for the portal (which has gallery embedded in it for now but hopefully other applications where I would like one login to cover everything), but to allow registration from the portal's login? (yes, I've got it corrected to use CB's login and not the initial joomla one)

I'd the to use the fourms as a component, and not separate.

In addition, I have flashchat. Well, it's not installed yet, but it's paid for and DL'ed.

My site is a gaming site, and what I need is to have people have access to different character names. As in.. you login with your regular login name, and that gives you access to everything (i.e. gallery, forums, CB lists). However, for the chat, I'd like to have people be able to select from a list either their normal login name, or a list of characters (specific to each player). If this is too complicated, then I suppose it would work if flashchat didn't autolog people in so they could manually type their characters names into the chat, though I'd vastly prefer having them have to choose a name rather than type one in (prevents cheating, prevents people pretending to be each other, etc)

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it. And if the answer is painfully obvious, I apologize-- I've tried googling and forum searching, but if the answer is already there I just don't understand it. I have joomla (mostly) down by CB is a whole new world to me :blush:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

18 years 1 month ago #9341 by sephirothVR
Replied by sephirothVR on topic Re:newbie alert-- flashchat and phpbb
1st of all, you put post nothing about cb. But i'll help u. Flashchat got integration with joomla already and users of your site dont need to login for flashchat as flashchat uses the joomla's user directory. (please make sure when u install flashchat, u click it to integrate it with joomla or mambo (which ever u use).

2nd, when using flashchat, you need to alter the 1 php file ( i dont remember the filename) to show the user's profile using CB, not joomla/mambo's profile.

3rd, this post should be in flashchat forum.........

About the forum, i dont know what u asked anyway...

18 years 1 month ago #9342 by sephirothVR
Replied by sephirothVR on topic Re:newbie alert-- flashchat and phpbb
sorry, didnt read your post properly. If you want the flashchat to have different login, then DONT integrate with joomla. Easy......

18 years 1 month ago #9378 by vista
Replied by vista on topic Re:newbie alert-- flashchat and phpbb
So there isn't a way with CB to give users specific options of what their login names can be? (i.e. if user 1 is logged in, he has the option of entering flashchat as 1, 3, or 5, and if user 2 logs in, she can enter flashchat as 2, 4, or 6?) Predetermined login names, but a choice of them. I know if you don't integrate they can type in their own, but that not exactly what I'm asking. I hope this makes sense.

Also, with phpbb integrated, would they have to fill out a profile for phpbb AND a SEPARATE one for CB? (during registration, I mean, or will the CB registration work? I know the regular joomla one will not work)

I like how it is here, where you register for CB, fill out your CB profile, and that also reg'es you for the forums. Can this be done with phpbb/CB?

18 years 1 month ago #9380 by geeffland
Replied by geeffland on topic Re:newbie alert-- flashchat and phpbb
for the phpBB/CB connection try the phpBB Connector (in Downloads / BETA area)... This works between CB and the regular version of phpBB (i.e. not phpBB Component, and not any seperate bridge).

I don't know anything about flashchat...

Greg

CB3PD Developer - CB Connector (formerly phpBB Connector) plugin

18 years 1 month ago #9454 by vista
Replied by vista on topic Re:newbie alert-- flashchat and phpbb
Thank you! I'll probably end up going over to flashchat to ask about that part. I'll go get the connector and start playing with it. :)

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn