username error

13 years 9 months ago #137290 by Mandig
username error was created by Mandig
Being one of the ones using the e-mail address as login method I was waiting this updated since long time.

Now I discovered that, despite the username is no longer needed for anything, if 2 users have the same name (I mean real name) CB doesn't let one of the 2 register because it replies that the username already exist.

Is there a workaround to solve this problem ? I don't need username at all and hided them but could CB create random username to avoid this problem ?

Thanks for the help.

Bye

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 9 months ago #137316 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:username error

Is there a workaround to solve this problem ?

No, CB attempts to place some kind of username and the fallback is Name fields. Username field is required by the CMS.

I don't need username at all and hided them but could CB create random username to avoid this problem ?

No, not out of the box. You could develop a CB plugin that utilizes the trigger onBeforeUserRegistration to apply a new username before the registration occurs. For further information on trigger usage please see tutorials within my signature.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 9 months ago #137344 by Mandig
Replied by Mandig on topic Re:username error
Krileon,

thanks for the reply but, just to understand, how it is supposed to work CB for people who want to use the e-mail as login method ? I think I shouldn't be the only one having this problem.

why should I ask my user to set a username if I let them use just their e-mail ?

I'm know sure about the way this thing works.

Thanks anyway for the reply.

13 years 9 months ago #137428 by krileon

why should I ask my user to set a username if I let them use just their e-mail ?

Because the username is required by the CMS. CB adds the feature to login via email. You can not simply remove usernames from the picture, they're still required. You could name it something more clever perhaps such as Nickname, which is more common to users or Screen Name.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 9 months ago #137723 by Mandig
Replied by Mandig on topic Re:username error
Krileon would it be a bad idea to use CB Subs and through CB Fields integration set each plan to copy the email inside username field ? In this way I would still have a username, it would be unique for everybody and it would be easy to remember for users too because it is the same email they use to log in.

Please let me have your comments before to proceed because I don't want to do a mess !!! :ohmy:

Thanks as usual for your assistance.

Bye

13 years 9 months ago #137764 by krileon

Krileon would it be a bad idea to use CB Subs and through CB Fields integration set each plan to copy the email inside username field ?

That'd be fine, email and/or user_id are acceptable substitutes as they are both unique.

In this way I would still have a username, it would be unique for everybody and it would be easy to remember for users too because it is the same email they use to log in.

Correct, is actually a good idea as long as a user is required to have a subscription upon registration otherwise it'd attempt to use Name.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds