Syncing with backend

13 years 9 months ago #137473 by mabelis
Syncing with backend was created by mabelis
Hi, I do hope this is the right place to post this question (I did search the forums and the FAQ but didn't see an answer - maybe it's too much of a newbee question.)
I would like to use Joomla and CB to build a site for my club (ca. 10,000 members). I already have a
Joomla test-site running; for the 'Public' part of the site it works very, very nicely. However, for the 'private' part of the site, the 'community site' properly speaking, I'm faced with a problem. This part of the site should be only accessible for (paying) members of the club. The membership administration, with all the financial stuff around it, is satisfactorily taken care of by an accountancy program. Thus, my problem is: how do I get the newly added members from this backend DB into CB and how do I 'block' the accounts for ex-members?
I have taken a cursory look at JBJuice and another 'import' tool, but get the impression they are mainly suited for one-time conversion and not for actually synchronising the relevant data.
Supposing other clubs faced the same problem, I wondered if there exists some kind 'best practice' to do this kind of thing, or even a ready-made script. Just to be clear: accessing the membership data is not a problem.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Hans

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 9 months ago #137601 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Syncing with backend
If your members are already in Joomla just install CB and navigate to Tools then synchronize the users. You need to be using CB login and registration from this point onwards. As for the membership management I can't comment on. This is something CBSubs can assist in providing. While blocking the entire profile is not possible. CBSubs can protect many tabs and or fields making profiles very very "basic" for non-subscribed users unless you wish to just protect the profile view task.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 9 months ago #137724 by mabelis
Replied by mabelis on topic Re:Syncing with backend
Thanks for the answer. However, I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean. First of all, I'm not at all sure what is the best way to get users into Joomla. You mention the function "synchronise" - what does this function do, exactly? Can it add new members from a DB? (If so, would that be the way to get members into Joomla?) Can it change the profiles of ex-members? Is there some documentation on that?
As for 'membership management', I mentioned this is done in a separate program; we won't touch that; the problem is just synchronising the relevant data with Joomla, especially: adding new members and changing the profiles of ex-members in such a way that they have access to the 'public part' of the site only.
Also, I don't know what is meant by "protect the profile view task".
I'd really be grateful if you could help me further since i really can't see how to approach this.
Hans

13 years 9 months ago #137763 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Syncing with backend

ou mention the function "synchronise" - what does this function do, exactly?

Brings Joomla users into CB.

Can it add new members from a DB? (If so, would that be the way to get members into Joomla?)

Yes, see User Management.

Can it change the profiles of ex-members?

Don't know what you mean by this, but you can edit users within User Management.

Is there some documentation on that?

Yes, I recommend becoming a document subscriber for the documentation.

As for 'membership management', I mentioned this is done in a separate program; we won't touch that; the problem is just synchronising the relevant data with Joomla, especially: adding new members and changing the profiles of ex-members in such a way that they have access to the 'public part' of the site only.

I can't comment on 3rd party usage, this is for you to figure out.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 9 months ago #137807 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Syncing with backend
mabelis wrote:

Thanks for the answer. However, I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean. First of all, I'm not at all sure what is the best way to get users into Joomla.

Users get into Joomla/CB either by registering in frontend (from CB registration form) or by admin adding them in backend (CB User Manager) one at a time.

If you already have a database of users outside of Joomla (example an excel file), then you can use a tool called CB Juice to import this external set in one batch process.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn