[SOLVED] Can't upload images

13 years 9 months ago #138097 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Can't upload images
ok - for other users reading this ... i will outline my debugging steps which will hopefully help others with similar problems.

issue: avatar upload always fails with server side message stating:

Please select file before uploading

Debug steps:

Go to Help -> System Info -> PHP Information tab.

Use browser search functionality to search for any PHP parameter with the word upload in it.

In this particular case I see the following parameters:

file_uploads on (which is ok)
max_file_uploads 20 (which looks ok also)
upload_max_filesize 10M (looks good)
upload_tmp_dir nothing here (looks like problem)

So the parameter upload_tmp_dir is empty, which means that certain upload function will most likely have issues.

Solution: ask your hoster why this is empty and how you can fix it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 9 months ago #138112 by willroz
Replied by willroz on topic Re:Can't upload images
Hi Nick,

First off - Thank you very much for taking the time to look at my issue. I'm trying to get this site launched, and it seems that this is the last hurdle to be overcome.

Second, great call checking the pHp Information tab. I would have completely overlooked checking any parameters there.

I thought that a quicker approach to solve this problem (before waiting for my host's reply), might be to create a directory named '/temp' (instead of '/tmp') and point mt Joomla settings there in the global config ->server. So I did this, changed the permissions on the new directory to 777, and still no luck.

I originally built this site in a test directory, on the same server. I have no issues like this on the test server. The profile images and the profile image gallery work perfectly. I went back to the pHp settings in the test site, and the parameters are exactly the same as the ones you describe below. This has me confused.

I even tried to point Joomla at the '/test/tmp' directory, simply because I know that it's working. Still no luck.

I have a ticket in with the host, but they haven't gotten back to me yet. Since the settings for the 'upload_tmp_dir' have no value on either rendition of this site, I'm baffled.

I appreciate the time you've spent looking at this issue already. I'd appreciate hearing from you if you have any other ideas on what might be causing this issue.

Thank You

I also have no idea why this shows as a double post, sorry if i did that inadvertantly.

Post edited by: willroz, at: 2010/07/18 17:45

Post edited by: willroz, at: 2010/07/19 06:41

13 years 9 months ago #138178 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Can't upload images
This would seam there is a configuration issue between your test a live site when you moved it from your test site. Have you inspected your configuration.php file to ensure everything is configured correctly to your live site? Have you tried using FTP and if already using FTP have you tried without it? Have you reviewed your server error log for any potential errors? Sometimes 777 is too high of a permission, have you tried 755 or 644?

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 9 months ago #138192 by willroz
Replied by willroz on topic Re:Can't upload images
Again
Thank You for your reply!

I seem to have stumbled upon the answer to this dilema. The solution doesn't seem to make any sense to me, since both sites are on the same server. The problem seems rectified nonetheless.

In the wee hours of the morning (literally), it struck me to look in the php.ini file. Interestingly enough there were only five lines of code in the file. No comments, just five simple lines.

I knew this was wrong, so I went to another site that I built. This file had 1065 lines of fully commented code, all with default settings.

I opened both of the files with Beyond Compare, copied the missing 1060 lines if code, saved and viola! Now I can upload images.

I know that doesn't make sense, since there is only one php.ini file on the server. The only thing I can think of revolves around a server glitch that happened last week.

In any event, I think this problem is solved, and I'd like to thank both of you; Nick and Kyle for being both helpful and responsive. I appreciate your time and attention to detail very, very much.

Again, many thanks!!
Will

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn