Members with "JR" or "SR" etc...

13 years 5 months ago #146532 by ThaiM
Members with "JR" or "SR" etc... was created by ThaiM
Just noticed this problem, when members sign up and they put "Jr" after their last name, the system uses "Jr" as their last name and makes everything else before that as a part of their first name. So now I have a bunch of members with the last name "Jr" in the system.

Any fixes for this?

One way I can see of getting around this is to disable the use of spaces in the last name field. But how do I do that?

Or, is there a better way?

Thanks.

Post edited by: ThaiM, at: 2010/11/17 19:48

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 5 months ago #146538 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Members with "JR" or "SR" etc...
What name format are you using? First and Last? Jr. is not part of their lastname, but is a suffix. You could add a new drop-down select or text input for users to provide a suffix.

I can only see this happening if you're using the single Name field which uses code to split the name up wherein First and Last name usage shouldn't do this (2 separate inputs).

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 5 months ago #146540 by ThaiM
Replied by ThaiM on topic Re:Members with "JR" or "SR" etc...
I have suffixes disabled. Hmmm...

Name format, is first and last in each's own text field during registration. But if they put Jr after their last name in the last name field, then the Jr becomes the last name and everything else is a part of the first name.

ie.

First: Tom
Last: Green Jr.

This ends up becoming:
First: Tom Green
Last: Jr

In the database.

13 years 5 months ago #146554 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Members with "JR" or "SR" etc...
I see, the name is combined then split as necessary. This is because Joomla it self does not support first/last names, etc.. It only supports Name, period. CB is splitting the name to determine its location. I recommend just adding a field for Suffix if a user wishes to provide a suffix. Alternatively you can configure your CB installation to use the Name field so it is a single text input and won't be split.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn