Please help me!

13 years 5 months ago #146716 by rsjg80
Please help me! was created by rsjg80
I am a complete noob to Joomla and CB.

I am a teacher and have been asked to set up a school website using Joomla. So I'm just beginning to get my head round Joomla and have this great idea to add a private area for students and everyone is saying how wonderful CB is for this.

But now I'm just confused!!!

Really simply, I've downloaded all CB stuff properly but need help how to set it up for my requirements - they're probably very simple.

I want a user (student) to log on with a username and password I give them and not be able to edit anything at all. I want them to be able to see a page specific to them that will hold some very basic data, but privately.

This is a primary school and we want to avoid any interactivity on the site - They go to the pupil page, they log in, see their data and that's it.

Can anyone help me? Have I even got the right plugin for this?! If you can help, please step by step because I really am lost with all this!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 5 months ago #146792 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Please help me!

I want a user (student) to log on with a username and password I give them and not be able to edit anything at all.

Create users from User Management; for fields to not be editable you'll need to edit them in Field Management and set them to Read Only.

I want them to be able to see a page specific to them that will hold some very basic data, but privately.

Protecting an entire profile is not supported. To protect user privacy you'll need to edit the fields to not display at all on profile view or become a documentation subscriber and use the CB Privacy plugin which would allow users to protect their privacy.

This is a primary school and we want to avoid any interactivity on the site - They go to the pupil page, they log in, see their data and that's it.

More or less like a directory? Perhaps a directory extension such as mostree would be more suitable or a CMS such as Moodle designed for school systems would be more acceptable? CB is more of a social network system such as Facebook, MySpace, etc..

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds