[SOLVED] Need help with strange problem...

13 years 4 months ago #149211 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Need help with strange problem...
Something wrong with your installation. I've no experience with Akeeba so I can't say for sure how to properly migrate a site. I use more direct methods, which have minimal impact. The following steps are what I use and have experience with.
  1. FTP download site to localhost web root
  2. phpmyadmin export database
  3. phpmyadmin import database to localhost
  4. edit configuration.php in Joomla root to match localhost configuration (database username/password, etc...)

I do not recommend moving your site to localhost if you have no experience in doing so; instead consult someone who can handle this for you.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 4 months ago #149252 by tthdoc
Replied by tthdoc on topic Re:Need help with strange problem...
First, let me say I appreciate all the help but I am getting frustrated in that it seems the question I need help with is not being answered.

So, let me start from scratch:

1. I downloaded XAMPP and installed it.
2. I FTP'ed all my files from my host to a folder in htdocs.
3. I exported the database from my host and created a new database with xampp. Imported the sql file. I checked and the tables match.
4. I changed configuration files with the correct data.
5. Goto 127.0.0.1/newfolder and the site comes up -- without menu at the top. The warnings I listed below still come up.

So, it is NOT that I did something wrong. The site comes up, so obviously it is configured correctly. I installed xampp, have deleted it and reinstalled it twice. I checked, and rechecked the database and files. I deleted everything and redid the FTP of the whole folder AND deleted the database and re-exported and re-imported. And I tried using Akeeba instead of FTP, and the same exact scenerio results. What I need is help as to what the warnings mean and perhaps it will help me to pinpoint the problem.

Again, I really do appreciate the help, but what I need is a solution.

Thanks,

Doc

13 years 4 months ago #149271 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Need help with strange problem...
This is really not a CB question or issue so we are all just offering our previous experience.

I would check that a new Joomla/CB install on your localhost works ok with XAMPP.

At least then you know that there is nothing wrong with your localhost environment.

13 years 4 months ago #149305 by tthdoc
Replied by tthdoc on topic Re:Need help with strange problem...
Problem solved...

First, I want to once again make sure my frustration is not taken the wrong way and reiterate that I truly appreciate all the help (on this and other subjects you have helped me with).

As to the problem, hopefully what I found can help others. After alot a searching, I came across information that indicated that versions of Joomla prior to 1.5.20 were not behaving well with php 5.3. I checked my host who was using 5.2.14 and my Joomla install is 1.5.14. So I checked my XAMPP install (version 1.7.3) and found it was using php 5.3.1. So I deleted XAMPP, downloaded version 1.7.0 which uses php 5.2.8, and all works perfectly now.

So if anyone is having any errors related to using a localhost, before looking into anything else, check your joomla version and your php version to make sure they are compatible.

Hope that helps,

Thanks again,
Doc

13 years 4 months ago #149306 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Need help with strange problem...
Thank you for sharing your resolution. However, I would like to stress the importance of Help us help you that is found within any team members signature. Please see step 4 of this article.

4. > Is CB and Joomla up to date?

Please also see the first 3 steps of information instructed to include with your posts after reading help us help you.

1. > Exact PHP version.
2. > Exact CB version.
3. > Exact Joomla version.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn