If I have thousands of lists......how to do better?

6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #298640 by mk3
If I have thousands of lists filtered by city, country, and a 3rd field (and each of them are houndreds of citys, countries...etc) maybe to not go crazy creating them all, would be easier to change the code a little bit, to filter those lists virtually in files
/libraries/CBLib/CB/Legacy/cbUserList.php
or one of them and then assigning the only one created list to thousands of menus?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 years 5 months ago #298679 by krileon
You should be able to just add your country, city, etc.. fields to your userlist and set them searchable. Users can then search the country of their choosing all from 1 userlist.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

6 years 5 months ago #298700 by mk3
This I understand.
But..... I need a tonn of pages for SEO.
In this case 1 userlist is useless....
So, any other advice to my first question?

6 years 5 months ago #298772 by krileon
You can filter a userlist from GET or POST. This is done by simply adding the field criteria directly to the userlist URL. Example as follows.

index.php?option=com_comprofiler&view=userslist&cb_country=USA

You could use a 3rd party SEO extension to rewrite that into something more user friendly or custom htaccess rewrite rules. Example as follows.

URL: index.php?option=com_comprofiler&view=userslist&cb_country=USA
REWRITE: /members/usa

With the above "members" is the menu item alias while usa is the country filter.

Creating hundreds/thousands of menu items would just be a nightmare to maintain. What you proposed wouldn't help with SEO anyway as it's no different then using the searching as is. Using an SEO extension, menus items, or custom rewrite rules is your only option.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

6 years 5 months ago #298781 by mk3

krileon wrote: Using an SEO extension, menus items, or custom rewrite rules is your only option.

Exactly - using menu items, because they give SEO friendly ULR's directly. But in place of creating for each menu item a userlist with it's filters and numbers, I will do that in programming way, right? However I would have 1000 of menu items, but that would do good for SEO, as each has it's own url. (That's what I proposed.)
Am I right?

6 years 5 months ago #298813 by krileon
Creating thousands of menu items is not maintainable. Just create custom htaccess rewrite rules and utilize 1 menu item and 1 userlist. You can also create the rewrite rules with a 3rd party SEO extension. See my above reply where I've explained how this would work.

What you proposed again is no different than the filters as you can already pre-filter a userlist from GET. For example create an External URL menu item to the below and it'd filter cb_country to USA.

index.php?option=com_comprofiler&view=userslist&cb_country=USA

But Joomla does not utilize SEO for External URL menu items. What you're needing is to be able to create an internal menu item with Community Builder > Userlist menu type and to be able to specify the filters there, but again that's still having to maintain thousands of menu items which is not maintainable.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn