Member Only site with some members not having email addresses

5 years 8 months ago #306719 by billborque
I am working on developing deploying a site that does not allow registration. It's a member only organization. We manually add in members as they join or remove them if they pass away. They are usually lifetime members. Out of 350 members, we have 40 that are older folks that don't have email addresses and never will. I have a Member List that I want to display with emails for all members, and need to include the email for those 310 members that have email addresses. For the remaining 40 that don't I have added in fake emails just to get those members in Joomla and Community Builder. However, now the Member List will display the fake emails, which I don't want.

Rather than buying Community Builder add-ons with the hope that one of them will allow me to suppress showing email addresses for those that have fake email address (filtering by domain name) I wanted to inquire in this forum to see if it's possible and if so, which add-on would do the trick for me.

Looking forward to how to handle members without email addresses. As has been stated in other forum submissions, Joomla and CB assuming every person on the planet has an email address is misguided, short-sighted thinking.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 8 months ago #306725 by krileon
Add a checkbox field to indicate if the account has a valid email address or not. For those accounts that have fake email addresses simply check the checkbox. Next in your userlist filter the list to every user that doesn't have the checkbox set to 1 (Yes/Checked). Alternative is if your fake email addresses all have something in common you can try filtering your list by that common value.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

5 years 8 months ago #306728 by billborque
Unfortunately, it's not as simple as filtering out those users that don't have an email address. I need to display all 350 members, those that have email addresses and those that don't. I just need to have the system remove the fake email addresses when listing those members in the Member List. I am listing other fields such as member number, phone, mobile, etc. So, I do need to display all members.

5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #306745 by nant

billborque wrote: Unfortunately, it's not as simple as filtering out those users that don't have an email address. I need to display all 350 members, those that have email addresses and those that don't. I just need to have the system remove the fake email addresses when listing those members in the Member List. I am listing other fields such as member number, phone, mobile, etc. So, I do need to display all members.

Welcome to our Free support forums!

Hope you find CB useful and elect to become a paid member.

Please download the CB Primer Book and study it.

Also please see this Tutorial on CB Substitutions:

www.joomlapolis.com/documentation/279-community-builder/tutorials/18353-using-substitutions-throughout-cb

You should be able to use the User List Value Layout setting for the email field (Parameters Layout tab) to conditionally check (with regex pattern) for a fake email and substitute it.

I just tested on our demo site and this works just fine.

Here you go:

www.joomlapolis.com/documentation/279-community-builder/tutorials/18805-using-field-layouts-substitutions-regex-condition-on-email-field-in-a-user-list

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn