User ACL and European GDPR

5 years 5 months ago #308728 by adgilcan
User ACL and European GDPR was created by adgilcan
Hi there

I am completely new to CB but have been working my way through the manual and think it will be a great fit, for my site.

Before I get too far down the road, I wonder if I could ask for some advice regarding security, privacy and GDPR?

I am building a website for a community of apartment owners in the UK. It is absolutely crucial that we comply with data protection. As such, members will have to register before they can access the site and they will have to accept the T&Cs as a part of the registration process. All of that, by necessity must be in the public level of access. However, I do not want anybody who is not registered, or higher ACL, to have any further access to the site. normally I would do this by setting the ACL to Registered, or higher for all other pages. However, the CB manual suggests that this will cause me problems in several areas including the failure of the registration form.

I wonder if some wise soul could tell me how to go about restricting access to the site only to people who have registered and been approved by an administrator/ moderator? It would also be good to further restrict access within the site to other areas or documents depending on member responsibilities. This would normally be simple to achieve with User Access levels but I am alarmed by the warnings I have read in the manual. I note that there is a Privacy Plug-in but I don't know what it does and whether this would be worth paying for?

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Duncan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 5 months ago #308738 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic User ACL and European GDPR
If your entire site beyond registration is Registered access you should be fine. Just be sure your Joomla menu item to Registration is Public access. You may need to ensure the profile menu item is also Public access as it's used for the fallback Itemid, but profiles do not need to be Public (set the view access level parameter for profiles to Registered in CB > Configuration).

CB Privacy allows per-profile, per-tab, and per-field privacy controls. Whether you need it or not depends on if you need that functionality. It also optionally allows users to disable or delete their accounts themselves.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

5 years 5 months ago #308742 by adgilcan
Replied by adgilcan on topic User ACL and European GDPR
Thank you Kyle

That's very good of you. I have spent a fair bit of today looking at Nick's tutorials. I will do as you suggest and see how I get on,

Very best wishes

Duncan
The following user(s) said Thank You: krileon

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 1.392 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn