[SOLVED] CB GroupJive Forums Plugin Settings issue on a multilingual site

3 years 7 months ago #320243 by wweb
Hello,

This is almost a similar issue with the CB Blogs plugin issue I came across as explainned here:
www.joomlapolis.com/forum/146-general/242844-cb-blogs-plugin-settings-issue-on-a-multilingual-site

In the 'CB GroupJive Forums Plugin' configuration > Parameters > Category, the tooltip says: “Select the Forum Category for all group forums.

Now the problem is: Kunena only lets you set up a multilingual website in this format (Separate parent forum category for each language):

English Forum
  • Category 1
  • Category 2
Forum en Français (French Category)
  • Categorie 1
  • Categorie 2
Foro en Español (Spanish Category)
  • Categoria 1
  • Categoria 2

So which category should be selected in the CB GroupJive Forums plugin?

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

3 years 7 months ago #320258 by krileon
That parameter is just the top level category it will place all GJ forum categories into and they aren't going to be language specific as they are group specific, which are created when a group is created. You don't select forum categories manually per group.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

3 years 7 months ago #320271 by wweb
Hi krileon. Thanks for the reply. Maybe you didn't understand my queston very well.

In the 'CB GroupJive Forums', It asks to 'Select the Forum Category for all group forums.'

So how will I select a top level category if the Kunena only lets you set up a multilingual forum in a separate parent forum category for each language as shown in my previous post?

Here is an exemple to illustrate what i am trying to say:

In GroupJive, I would like to create 3 Group categories. For exemple: Dogs, Cats, Birds. Since Categories are not language specific and can note be translate, I will have to create the same categories with titles translated in different languages three times because I don't want Groups in French of French speacking users to appear in the same categories of groups in Spanish for Spanish speaking users and so forth.

So, to organize things, I will end up creating the same categories three times: 3 for English, 3 for French and 3 for Spanish. Total: 9 Categories like this:

Dogs (Group Discussions on Dogs in English)
Cats (Group Discussions on Cats in English)
Birds (Group Discussions on Birds English)

Chiens (Group Discussions on Dogs in French)
Chats (Group Discussions on Cats in French)
Oiseaux (Group Discussions on Birds in French)

Perros (Group Discussions on Dogs in Spanish)
Gatos (Group Discussions on Cats in Spanish)
Aves (Group Discussions on Birds in Spanish)

As you can see, there are the same categories created 3 times to organize groups based on the language to be used in the group discussions.

Now in Kunena, categories are organized like this:

English Forum (Forum in English)
  • Category 1
  • Category 2
  • Dogs (Forum on Dogs in English)
  • Cats (Forum on Cats in English)
  • Birds (Forum on Birds English)
Forum en Français (French Forum)
  • Categorie 1
  • Categorie 2
  • Chiens (Forum on Dogs in French)
  • Chats (Forum on Cats in French)
  • Oiseaux (Forum on Birds in French)

Foro en Español (Spanish Forum)
  • Categoria 1
  • Categoria 2
  • Perros (Forum on Dogs in Spanish)
  • Gatos (Forum on Cats in Spanish)
  • Aves (Forum on Birds in Spanish)

This is the only way to organized categories in a multilingual forum with Kunena since categories can not be translated and since we want to avoid different language posts in the same forum category.

So in the GroupJive plugin > Category creation > Integration > Category, where it says: 'Select the forum category to associate with category', I can associate GroupJive categories to Forum categoris like this:

Dogs (Group Discussions on Dogs in English) ==> Dogs (Forum on Dogs in English)
Cats (Group Discussions on Cats in English) ==> Cats (Forum on Cats in English)
Birds (Group Discussions on Birds English) ==> Birds (Forum on Birds English)

Now the problem is in the 'CB GroupJive Forums plugin' > Parameters > Category, 'Select the Forum Category for all group forums'.Iin the example above of Dogs, Cats, Birds categories in 3 languages, please which category to choose? Only one forum category can be choosen from the drop-down list in the 'CB GroupJive Forums plugin' . That's the problem!

Any advise? Any suggestion? How o fix this issue of CB GroupJive and Kunena on a multilingual website?

Many Thanks

3 years 7 months ago #320272 by krileon
Groups are not multi-lingual. You don't have a group per language. There's no functionality for that or plans for such functionality as groups are user created content. The forums assigned to groups are created automatically when the group is created. The parameter in question is just where it will store all of those forums created by GJ. Using your example above you'd have the below.

English Forum (Forum in English)
- Category 1
- Category 2
- Dogs (Forum on Dogs in English)
- Cats (Forum on Cats in English)
- Birds (Forum on Birds English)
Forum en Français (French Forum)
- Categorie 1
- Categorie 2
- Chiens (Forum on Dogs in French)
- Chats (Forum on Cats in French)
- Oiseaux (Forum on Birds in French)
Foro en Español (Spanish Forum)
- Categoria 1
- Categoria 2
- Perros (Forum on Dogs in Spanish)
- Gatos (Forum on Cats in Spanish)
- Aves (Forum on Birds in Spanish)
Groups

You'd select Groups in CB GroupJive Forums and in Kunena its language assignment would be all languages.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

3 years 7 months ago #320277 by wweb

krileon wrote: You'd select Groups in CB GroupJive Forums and in Kunena its language assignment would be all languages.

Thanks krileon. Well, creating a single forum category in Kunena to fit all the Groups (all languages together) is all I have been trying to avoid since the beginning. Things look messy/unorganized, but I got no choice for now. I will have to go for it. Then i will have to write a generic name (title) for that category and maybe write a description in 3 languages aswell to make users to understand that it is a Forum category that contains all Group forums (all languages together).

By the way, what is the different between the Group - Kunena category association in the GroupJive Category plugin (Select the forum category to associate with category) with the Category Paramenters in the CB GroupJive Forums plugin (Select the Forum Category for all group forums)? Isn't it the same thing? It's a bit confusing. Why should we need a specific Kunena category for all group while all Group categories are already associated with their related Kunena category? What each feature means/does?

Also can the title and description of the preset group categories created by the admin from the backend be translated? Can we use language strings?

What is your opinion about the GroupJive category structure I came up with in my previous post? (Like: creating the same category three times but with different title in different language. Total: 9 Group categories) or instead, maybe having only 3 categories and use language strings to translate their title and description. What do you think?

Thanks

3 years 7 months ago #320282 by krileon

Thanks krileon. Well, creating a single forum category in Kunena to fit all the Groups (all languages together) is all I have been trying to avoid since the beginning. Things look messy/unorganized, but I got no choice for now. I will have to go for it. Then i will have to write a generic name (title) for that category and maybe write a description in 3 languages aswell to make users to understand that it is a Forum category that contains all Group forums (all languages together).

You don't have to display the top level groups category in your forum index. You can configure it to be hidden in Kunena so it's only accessed through GJ.

By the way, what is the different between the Group - Kunena category association in the GroupJive Category plugin (Select the forum category to associate with category) with the Category Paramenters in the CB GroupJive Forums plugin (Select the Forum Category for all group forums)? Isn't it the same thing? It's a bit confusing. Why should we need a specific Kunena category for all group while all Group categories are already associated with their related Kunena category? What each feature means/does?

Do not edit category and groups forum assignment. That's just for management purpose encase a new kunena category needs to be pointed to. GJ will create and assignment the forum categories automatically. All you need to configure is Category under the Parameters tab in CB GroupJive Forums, which is where GJ will automatically create its forum categories.

Also can the title and description of the preset group categories created by the admin from the backend be translated? Can we use language strings?

Yes, category and group names are passed through translation API so you can use language overrides as shown below to translate them.

www.joomlapolis.com/blog/kyle/18701-language-overrides-have-arrived

What is your opinion about the GroupJive category structure I came up with in my previous post? (Like: creating the same category three times but with different title in different language. Total: 9 Group categories) or instead, maybe having only 3 categories and use language strings to translate their title and description. What do you think?

That won't look right as again GJ is not language specific. Groups are user created content and don't care what someones language is in regards to access. I suggest creating 3 categories and translating their names via language overrides so the names are multi-lingual then your users will create groups as they see fit in their language.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--
The following user(s) said Thank You: wweb

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn