#4878 - Userlist issue again

9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #254169 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Userlist issue again
I am unable to confirm your issue. With the following settings you'll get the following expected results.

Search Mode = Search Only
Hide Empty Searches = Yes
Collapse Search Criteria = No

List will display with the search criteria expanded. There will be no initial list of users. The user found counter will show 0 as no search has been made yet. Upon search the counter will update and you'll see your users (this assumes the criteria you supplied matches users).

There were a few issues found with "List All" not properly hiding it self, but we've fixed those in 2.0.4. In the above case "List All" should not be available, but instead should be hidden; however it doesn't due to a minor bug that handles its display.

To clarify the IF statement in your first post it reads as follows.

IF the search mode is set to 0 always show the user rows.
OR IF the search mode is 1 AND there are users found then show the users rows.
OR IF the search mode is set to 2 always show the user rows.

The search modes are as follows.

0 = Show List (search collapsed WITH initial list results)
1 = Show Search Only (search auto expanded WITHOUT initial list results)
2 = Show List and Search (search auto expanded WITH initial list results)

In addition to the above there are the individual list parameters as I've described above and in my previous post. There's a bug with the collapse parameter that causes search modes 1 and 2 to behave a little wonky, but that's fixed for 2.0.4 and has no effect on the search results.

If your search ends up in no results there is a chance the criteria you're supplying doesn't match anything. Make sure your userlist is set to "simply search any" instead of "simple search is" so you can do partial matches.

Another note is if you're using CB Privacy and your search criteria matches a user profile you do not have access to or are searching a field on a user that you do not have access to then their search results row is removed.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

9 years 3 months ago #254241 by KatoKalin
Replied by KatoKalin on topic Userlist issue again
Unfortunately this is not getting me closer to a solution.

I have just done the upgrading again. Please note:

I have a fully working installation with Joomla 2.5.27 and Cb 1.9.1

An empty userlist search returns the full list as expected.
I have removed all non-required CB plugins in case this could be the issue. I have removed as many non-core fields and tabs as possible to prevent interference.
I confirmed the userlist is still returning all members just fine.

Now I do the upgrade to CB 2.0.3. I have to re-assign the menu item to the userlist and set the userlist selector to "search only". And guess what, it is not working anymore.

I also noted that the userlist selector has not been present in CB 1.9. version? So it seems to be a new feature that has been implemented with CB 2.0.

As my issue starts with this selector and as the only thing I am doing is to upgrade CB to the new version. For me it absolutely clear that the reason the the userlist failure is in the CB2.0 code.

Please also note additionally, that the userlist itself is working fine as long as the search is not empty. Any value in any search field and the user list returns the appropriate users for this search.

I have limited search parameters down to as simple single field search, still the same behaviour occurs. An plugins like CB Privacy and others have been removed.

For me there is absolutely NO hint, that there is something wrong with my installation. But strong indications that CB2.0 has a bug in there.
It seems that the implemention of the "search only" feature in the userlist menu setting has lead to some core changes, that produce this faulty behaviour. I don´t know what else to say?
CB1.9.1 is working, CB2.0.3 ist not working and you have made code changes on that specific part. I cannot see where else the error could be.

I really need this to be solved.

9 years 3 months ago #254352 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Userlist issue again
Hi again.

we had an internal discussion about this and it looks like things are working as designed.

When the Search Mode of the Menu linking to a user list id is set to 'Show Search Only', then the search form will be presented with an empty list, and in order for results to appear a search item must be specified - if no search items are specified, then no list items are presented. This is how this features was designed - it was designed specifically to NOT allow people to list everyone at once.

If you want the the Search Criteria and the default list to appear, then you need to select Search Mode = 'Show List and Search'.

In CB 1.9.1 there was not menu linking to user lists - you could only link to the entire list.

If what you want is to show a search criteria opened without the full list an dthen get the full list with an empty search setting, then you cannot - there is no such feature.

You need to chose from the existing features I described earlier.

9 years 3 months ago #254407 by KatoKalin

nant wrote: Hi again.

we had an internal discussion about this and it looks like things are working as designed.

At least now I know it is not a bug. However I don´t like this decision.
I don´t see the need to change the beaviour and my users are used to the way it works.

Couldn´t this behaviour could be made optional? There are so many options for userlists, why not adding a feature if empty searches shall return the full list or not.

I would prefer it that way.

9 years 3 months ago #254423 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Userlist issue again

KatoKalin wrote: I don´t see the need to change the beaviour and my users are used to the way it works.

Not sure what behavior was changed.

In CB 1.9.1 there was no support for direct userlist menu linking.

9 years 3 months ago #254429 by KatoKalin

nant wrote:

KatoKalin wrote: I don´t see the need to change the beaviour and my users are used to the way it works.

Not sure what behavior was changed.

In CB 1.9.1 there was no support for direct userlist menu linking.

With CB 1.9.1 the user sees the empty search form. He submits the empty search form and gets the full list.

With CB 2.0.3 the user sees the empty search form. He submts the empty search form and gets presented nothing.

User is used to behaviour as it is with 1.9.1. As I do not see a reason for this change of behaviour -it is more of a personal like and dislike- I would prefer my users could keep using the search form as they were used to. So I would like to have an optional backend setting for this search form behaviour. For me it seems fairly easy to implement this: Something as simple as
IF userlist empty and admin option yes then present full list ELSE do nothing
could do.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.265 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn