Accessibility of Lost Login page

3 years 9 months ago #319167 by richbrundage
Accessibility of Lost Login page was created by richbrundage
In reviewing accessibility of my site using the SiteImprove Chrome plugin I found problems with the Lost Login page.
The <label>Reminder needed for</label> was not connected to a form control.
The form control elements were not grouped.

I was able to solve this by hacking the comptroller.htm.php file (I know, not reccomended!) and doing the following:
inserting ".'<fieldset>" at line 734
changing the"'<label for="typeofloose"" to "<lengend" and ".</legend>" for ". '</label>'"
inserting ".</fieldset>" at the new line 750

This fixed all the problems and the page still works, though the layout is vertical rather than horizontal.

The university I am building the site for requires accessibility, and this fixed an A level error, so perhaps you could consider it as an issue to address in the next update. I will appreciate any feedback.
Best wishes.

Richard Brundage

Please Log in to join the conversation.

3 years 9 months ago #319189 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Accessibility of Lost Login page
That's normal since the label associated with the checkboxes is already assigned. That shouldn't cause any accessibility problems. You'll notice the same with any multi-checkbox or radio field. Are there screen reader errors against that page or are you going purely off the reports of accessibility testing tools? The form as-is passes lighthouse accessibility test with a score of 97% though so I don't think there's anything you should need to do.

Label element for "Reminder needed for" could certainly be swapped to legend, but this will break styling. You shouldn't need to do this to any other labels on the page.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: richbrundage

3 years 9 months ago #319192 by richbrundage
Replied by richbrundage on topic Accessibility of Lost Login page
I am going purely off the report of the SiteImprove testing tool. I ran Lighthouse on the revised code and got a score of 100% so it fixed a minor problem to give 3% improvement, but it did break styling, checkboxes layout is vertically instead of horizontal. I guess the real test is to use a screen reader on it, will let you know what I learn if I get to that.

Thanks for the prompt reply and useful tip on Lighthouse as alternate accessibility test.

Richard Brundage

3 years 9 months ago #319198 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Accessibility of Lost Login page
If you run a screen reader test against it please let us know if it throws an errors about the accessibility. Ideally they should be legend elements instead of label elements, but in a Joomla environment that's a nightmare to do since so many Joomla templates (including Joomlas own default protostar) apply all kinds of styling to legends as if they're inside of fieldsets (they SHOULD be testing for this in their CSS, but they don't) so it makes it a nightmare to style them correctly to match label 1:1.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

3 years 9 months ago #319279 by richbrundage
Replied by richbrundage on topic Accessibility of Lost Login page
The screen reader is fine with the <label> elements instead of <legend>. SiteImprove is overly zealous on this one. Thanks again for you help.

Richard Brundage
The following user(s) said Thank You: krileon

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.449 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn