Can I Provide this using CB and any relevant plug

13 years 3 months ago #150668 by organo
Greetings all assembled,

I'd be very grateful if you could help me with doubts I have - not necessarily of CB but of my ability to drive the thing into fruition.

I hope to create a community whereby the provisioning of a searchable database of classical chamber instrumentalists (community members), via instrument category, type etc.
But more than just a classified ads type site, much more.

At New Registration, provide instrument family category (for registrant to select) e.g.: Strings, Woodwind, Brass, Keyboard, etc;
and then:
Instrument Drop-down list within a selected category; e.g.: (category) Woodwind (instrument within that Category) Flute/Oboe/Bassoon/ or Clarinet etc,

For example, I am a member of this community, and I joined because I, (a pianist) wanted to find and make contact with a particular type of instrumentalist say a cellist (perhaps in my area) who might like to help me find others to form a small ensemble either for pleasure or for gigs via my community membership, and all the tools that the community provides.

So, registered members can search for instrument type, instrumentalist status, (professional or amateur) and location.

This search returns (or not) relevant members who match the search criterion within the given location. and the website provides all the tools to make contact and make the proposal !

I have Joomla 1.5xx and CB 1.3.1 installed and have printed the 1.3.1 user manual ...

However, I'm unsure of how to set-up the aforementioned instrument categories, types etc. and where to begin other than the initial recommended post installation steps.

Will CB fit the bill either with or without extras ?

If it will, what steps should I now take, please ? Please be gentle this is my first time .... groan

With mighty big thanks,

Mike.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 3 months ago #150868 by nant

organo wrote: Greetings all assembled,

I'd be very grateful if you could help me with doubts I have - not necessarily of CB but of my ability to drive the thing into fruition.

Welcome to our community - will try and help as much as possible!

I hope to create a community whereby the provisioning of a search-able database of classical chamber instrumentalists (community members), via instrument category, type etc.
But more than just a classified ads type site, much more.

At New Registration, provide instrument family category (for registrant to select) e.g.: Strings, Woodwind, Brass, Keyboard, etc;
and then:
Instrument Drop-down list within a selected category; e.g.: (category) Woodwind (instrument within that Category) Flute/Oboe/Bassoon/ or Clarinet etc,

At present there is no conditional field functionality in CB. Similar functionality is planned for CB 2.0 (will not happen very soon). Work-around would be to use a single CB field (perhaps of single or multiple check-box type) and give all value combinations (example: Strings-Violin, Strings-Guitar, etc).

For example, I am a member of this community, and I joined because I, (a pianist) wanted to find and make contact with a particular type of instrumentalist say a cellist (perhaps in my area) who might like to help me find others to form a small ensemble either for pleasure or for gigs via my community membership, and all the tools that the community provides.

So, registered members can search for instrument type, instrumentalist status, (professional or amateur) and location.

This search returns (or not) relevant members who match the search criterion within the given location. and the website provides all the tools to make contact and make the proposal !

You can setup a CB User List to accomplish this searching - read documentation on user lists (its in your Doc-Subs tab) and post back with questions if needed.

I have Joomla 1.5xx and CB 1.3.1 installed and have printed the 1.3.1 user manual ...

However, I'm unsure of how to set-up the aforementioned instrument categories, types etc. and where to begin other than the initial recommended post installation steps.

Will CB fit the bill either with or without extras ?

If it will, what steps should I now take, please ? Please be gentle this is my first time .... groan

With mighty big thanks,

Mike.

You should be able to accomplish what you want with CB - perhaps with some help and guidance from us.
The following user(s) said Thank You: organo

13 years 3 months ago #150873 by organo
Sincere many thanks.

I suppose I would be correct in thinking that version 2 will be a month or two, or much longer than that ?

I will absorb your response and your suggestions, then I can ask again once I have got to grips with your suggestions.

Thank you again. I very much appreciate your help.

Mike.

13 years 3 months ago #150888 by nant

organo wrote: Sincere many thanks.

I suppose I would be correct in thinking that version 2 will be a month or two, or much longer than that ?

I will absorb your response and your suggestions, then I can ask again once I have got to grips with your suggestions.

Thank you again. I very much appreciate your help.

Mike.

stable 2.0 will take longer

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn