[SOLVED] Blank Config Screen with CB 1.4 RC

13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #152843 by jspadilla
I am currently running Joomla 1.6 and successfully upgraded from Community Builder 1.3.1 to 1.4 RC. The upgrade ran OK without any error messages. After the upgrade, I am now encountering a blank page when I attempt to browse to the Components/community-builder/configuration section (the URL is: /administrator/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=showconfig&view=showconfig)

I've checked the forums for possible solutions, but with no luck. For example, I've tried the following:
  • I've set the Joomla Debug option to "Yes" and set the Error Reporting to "Maximum" (but still get a blank page - other pages show debugging information OK)
  • I've tried adding the following at the top of the /administrator/index.php file (and I still get a blank page with no error message):

ini_set( 'display_errors', true );

error_reporting( E_ALL );
  • I've checked the PHP memory limit: It is set to 128M
Any ideas of what the issue might be? I did not have this issue with version 1.3.1.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 1 month ago #152850 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re: Blank Config Screen with CB 1.4 RC
three things to further check:

#1 - check you server error log for detailed errors
#2 - Are you sure you are getting 128M? See this article I wrote on the Joomla magazine to verify for yourself with test ( magazine.joomla.org/issues/Issue-Dec-2010/item/295-Are-you-getting-your-fair-share-of-PHP-memory#JOSC_TOP )
#3 - please make sure all you CB plugins are published for Public access (see CB Plugin Manager)

Finally please verify that you are using default Joomla template so we can rule out template issues.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jspadilla

13 years 1 month ago #152906 by jspadilla
Replied by jspadilla on topic Re: Blank Config Screen with CB 1.4 RC
Thank's for the information.
  • I've checked with my web host and they told me that since I am running on a Windows environment with IIS that I wouldn't have the error logs (as I would when running Apache). The web host informed me that I should be able to see the errors right on the php page itself since the php parameter display_errors is on in php.ini. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing any error messages on the page.
  • I've checked the memory: The Joomla PHP "memory_limit" field shows 128M. I ran the phpmemtest.php script - the script runs successfully up to 99M without any errors/issues.
  • All of my CB plugins are published for Public access
  • I am using the default Joomla template along with the default admin Joomla template.

I'm stumped on this one.

13 years 1 month ago #153149 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Blank Config Screen with CB 1.4 RC
The only way to debug the issue is with error logs. It'll be impossible otherwise as it could be a massive number of things given how generic 500 errors are. More or less they're saying "some fatal error happened, don't know what, but it happened".

If no error logs can be provided please ask your host how to provide a custom 500 error page that actually contains the error; this would be a bit more helpful in finding the cause. Aside from that I've no clue what the issue is. It could be from a CB plugin conflict, function erroring out, simply don't know without the logs.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jspadilla

13 years 1 month ago #153230 by jspadilla
Replied by jspadilla on topic Re: Blank Config Screen with CB 1.4 RC
It looks like I finally found the source of the blank config screen issue. Using the Plesk settings on my site, under PHP Support, the "run as" option had been set to "CGI Application". I changed the setting to "ISAPI extension" and like magic, the CB configuration screen showed up. I honestly don't know what this setting does, other than it fixed my issue. I hope this helps out those who might encounter a similar issue.

Thanks so much for the help and support everyone - this issue is now solved.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn