Admin/Sub-admin question

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #173102 by sirweb
Admin/Sub-admin question was created by sirweb
Can I do this with CB 1.7 with or without plugins?
Or will it be possible in CB 2.0?

I need to assign groups of users to sub-admins. This is useful if you have an national organisation with a number of local affiliates that use a shared member database where users are not allowed to manage all their data by themselves.

At national level, the top level admin should be able to manage all members/groups.
On local affiliate level, the local admin should only be able to manage the users assigned to him/his group.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 8 months ago #173142 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Acmib/Sub-admin question
CB has no such feature and as far as I am aware there's no plans for once. Moderators themselves already have lower permissions based off ACL (usergroup). For example you could set Authors to be moderators then assign users to Publisher, Administrator, etc.. They'll all have basic moderator privileges within CB however such as editing users profiles.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 8 months ago #173315 by sirweb
Replied by sirweb on topic Re: Admin/Sub-admin question
Habe my explanation was too poor here...

the point is that there is a layer of moderatiuon missing (in fact, so is for all community components ;) ).

Not all communities are of that kind that you only have only Site Moderators and Users (like here on CB Community) There are lots of communities where you need to divide the community into smaller managable groups, and you cannot let users edit all their fields.

Maybe a school is a better example:
1. The headmaster can access and edit all students and all their fields.
2. The teachers can access all students in their classes, and edit stundent´s fields like address and grades, but not edit some other fields.
3. Students can only edit their address.

As described here, admin as in pt 2. is missing. Having that feature would make CB far more flexible.

Hope this post better explains my question/idea. :)

12 years 8 months ago #173318 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Admin/Sub-admin question
I understand, but CB has no such capability. We'll be implementing a much more complex and featureful permissions system with CB 2.0 where this will likely be very possible.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

11 years 3 months ago #218138 by sirweb
Replied by sirweb on topic Re: Admin/Sub-admin question
Hi,

Is it still too eraly to say if 2.0 will have the capabilities discussed above?

This could also be solved in 1.9 for frontend editing with an extra plugin, but will plugins for 1.9 be compatible for 2.0? Or better wait? :)

11 years 3 months ago #218188 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Admin/Sub-admin question
It's too early to say for now. As is you can adjust some permissions specific to CB from CB > Configuration > Options > Permissions and CB > User Management > Options > Permissions. We ideally want to expand on this much further.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn