[#4311] CB Auto Actions feature request

10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #235893 by KatoKalin
[#4311] CB Auto Actions feature request was created by KatoKalin
I just installed CB Auto Actions plugin. There are so many triggers to choose from. Many of the plugins I have not even installed. I can select triggers from: GroupJive, Paid Subscriptions, Invites etc.

Without having installed these plugins I probably cannot make use of their triggers in a senseful way. So I wonder if it would be better to show only triggers that are really there.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

10 years 6 months ago #235922 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic CB Auto Actions feature request
It does no harm adding a trigger that's not currently available or doesn't exist. If the triggers were conditionally hidden it adds extra overhead to the plugin as well as causes issues with pre-setup of actions or existing actions where a plugin may have been removed.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #235949 by KatoKalin
Replied by KatoKalin on topic CB Auto Actions feature request

krileon wrote: It does no harm adding a trigger that's not currently available or doesn't exist. If the triggers were conditionally hidden it adds extra overhead to the plugin as well as causes issues with pre-setup of actions or existing actions where a plugin may have been removed.

How can this be a problem? All installed plugins are in the database, which can be checked on. When installing or uninstalling a plugin the appropriate triggers could be made available or removed and the actions that rely on them could get enabled or disabled.

It would be much more user friendly that way. Keep in mind that surely there will be even more triggeres in the future and the list of ALL available triggers ist already awfully extensive. So from my users perspective I would appreciate a more user friendly approach while I fully understand that coding it that way might be harder.

But it would also make a good plugin even better or even exceptional.

10 years 6 months ago #235969 by krileon
The trigger dropdown is completely searchable due to Select2 usage. There's no need to filter out plugins that are not installed. As explained in my previous reply if they were filtered out it'd break the ability to create actions before a plugin is installed and remove the ability to inspect other plugin triggers to see what they have available (same reason I show action types even though the plugin isn't installed).

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

10 years 6 months ago #235979 by KatoKalin
Replied by KatoKalin on topic CB Auto Actions feature request

krileon wrote: The trigger dropdown is completely searchable due to Select2 usage. There's no need to filter out plugins that are not installed. As explained in my previous reply if they were filtered out it'd break the ability to create actions before a plugin is installed and remove the ability to inspect other plugin triggers to see what they have available (same reason I show action types even though the plugin isn't installed).

Of course there is the need to filter out unnecessary plugins from a usability standpoint. See, I myself do not have the need for paid subscriptions, I will probably never install Groupjive and Invite. So for me there ABSOLUTELY no need to see what kind of triggers are associated with these plugins.
Also I do not see the need to create actions before the associated plugin has been installed. Is there any real world use case for that scenario?

Again I am only speaking for myself. There are plugins I will never install. So I would prefer not to see triggers of plugins that are not installed. To check out what triggers are availabe a proper documentation would do.

10 years 6 months ago #235986 by krileon
I see, you make a good point. Will implement for next release.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/4311

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.260 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn