[#4352] Searching the user database

10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #237734 by daveslong
[#4352] Searching the user database was created by daveslong
There are two capabilities I’d like to implement in Community Builder that I can’t figure out how to do, which have to do with the results of users searching the user database on the front end:

1) When all search fields are blank, and a user clicks “Find Users”, he/she is presented with the entire user database. Instead, I want to tell the user they must input some sort of search criteria; that all blank entries are not allowed. How can I do this?

2) There are two users that I do not want to be searchable. The system administrator, and one other special account I have set up. Is it possible to block certain users from being searched on and displayed?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

10 years 5 months ago #237738 by jupco
Replied by jupco on topic Searching the user database
2) - open community builder/List management
- select your user list, click edit
- in field "User Groups to Include in List:" select user groups you want to be searchable.

(so in your case simply by ctrl+left mouse button click off the superuser, special, admin etc.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: krileon, daveslong

10 years 5 months ago #237822 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Searching the user database

1) When all search fields are blank, and a user clicks “Find Users”, he/she is presented with the entire user database. Instead, I want to tell the user they must input some sort of search criteria; that all blank entries are not allowed. How can I do this?

Add an external Joomla menu link for the search mode URL of your userlist. This URL is found at the top of your userlist while editing it within CB > List Management.

2) There are two users that I do not want to be searchable. The system administrator, and one other special account I have set up. Is it possible to block certain users from being searched on and displayed?

jupco's reply is correct regarding this.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveslong

10 years 5 months ago #237935 by daveslong
Replied by daveslong on topic Searching the user database
Hello Kyle,

Yes, jupco's reply worked just fine (thanks, jupco!). But for my other issue, adding the external menu link for the search mode URL produced the same results - with nothing entered in the search fields, the entire database is displayed after clicking the Find Users button. Do you have any other suggestions?

Regards, Dave

10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #237974 by krileon
Searching with no search criteria will always do the same as "List All". You can't disable this. We're too close to release to be adding any further features, but I'll see if it's a simple addition to get this in.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

10 years 4 months ago #237976 by krileon
Ok, reviewed and is a simple addition.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/4352

I've implemented this for next release. The new parameter "Hide Empty Searches" will allow your userlist to hide empty search results as well as hide the "List All" feature. This means the only way for your userlist, when using this feature, to show users is to provide valid search criteria.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--
The following user(s) said Thank You: nant, daveslong

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.370 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn