How to stop the collection of IP addresses?

9 years 6 months ago #250117 by timstohr
Hey CB started collecting and displaying IP addresses of the users. As this is illegal in Germany I would like to stop it. How?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

9 years 6 months ago #250123 by nant

timstohr wrote: Hey CB started collecting and displaying IP addresses of the users. As this is illegal in Germany I would like to stop it. How?

Please explain where this is happening.

9 years 6 months ago #250130 by timstohr
Replied by timstohr on topic How to stop the collection of IP addresses?
On my profile there was a CB field with my IP adress on it. I have now taken it off so that it is not shown anymore. But are the addresses saved in the database? I would not want that.

Furthermore, the Anti-spam plugin is talking about collecting IP adresses. I must confess I did not understand all of it. Does it save the IP-adresses in the database?

Bye

Tim

9 years 6 months ago #250250 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic How to stop the collection of IP addresses?
CB has always collected an IP Address and stored it to the users database row in _comprofiler under the registeripaddr column. CB AntiSpam will display it as a field or display the most recent IP in the Logs that is available for the user. The field is only visible to CB Moderators so it's not publicly visible unless you disable moderator display only for the field (not the case by default).

For CB AntiSpam you can shut off IP logging within CB AntiSpam > Config > Global and set "Log" to "Disable". This turns off IP Address logging. You'll likely also want to set "Attempts" to "Disable" as well since it tracks login/registration failed attempts by IP Address. Blocking and Whitelisting can be Email, Email Domain, etc.. based so you can still use it.

As for the registeripaddr column in _comprofiler that's collected at user registration time there's no option to shut this off. You'll need to modify core code to disable it. Below will prevent the column from being set. You'll need to update every user row and set that column to null for existing users.

IN: components/com_comprofiler/comprofiler.php
ON: Line 1037
$userComplete->registeripaddr		=	cbGetIPlist();
TO:
//$userComplete->registeripaddr		=	cbGetIPlist();

We've added a feature ticket to provide a configuration option to shut this off though in a future release.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/4761

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

9 years 6 months ago #250285 by timstohr
Replied by timstohr on topic How to stop the collection of IP addresses?
Hi Kyle,

What I meant is the comprofiler IP logging. This is in the grey zone in Germany.

I have disabled the IP logging on Antispam plugin. Lets see what it does.

If you guys have such a feature as to disable the IP Logging of the users that will be great. If anyone checks, I can just say that for the moment, I have done everything possible to protect the IP adresses and that I needed them for something etc... etc...

Thanks,

Tim

9 years 6 months ago #250290 by nant

timstohr wrote: If anyone checks, I can just say that for the moment, I have done everything possible to protect the IP adresses and that I needed them for something etc... etc...

Just curious here, have you actually stopped your webserver from producing access logs (which of course contain IP addresses) and your ISP routers from keep similar routing logs?

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.240 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn