[#5922] K2 Integration with CB - How does it work and how will upgrading K2 affect my site?

7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #280690 by davisJ
Hi Nant. In a previous thread you stated:

As I understand it the only thing removed is the ability to link a K2 author name back to a CB profile.

I just need to clarify this as I'm considering upgrading to the new K2 despite the lack of integration. I'm not a programmer but I've somehow managed to configure K2 and CB to work together using Auto Actions and the existing (now out-dated) K2 integration and they seem to be working well so far.

So, before I upgrade and then have to either reinstall the old K2 if this upgrade doesn't work (not sure if I can just reinstall the old version or will have to unpack my backed up site) I just wanted to clarify what the current integration does and how it will be affected:

Currently - when someone registers via CB, K2/CB automatically create a K2 account with the same username. Once confirmed and approved, the user is added to a specific K2 user group via Auto Actions. They can then edit assigned K2 articles via the K2 front-end editor after logging in via CB.

So - if I upgrade - does this mean that if a user logs in via CB, they'll no longer be able to edit K2 articles, as their K2 and CB profiles will no longer be linked unless you guys re-integrate? This is make or break for my website so if this is the case, K2 have dumped me (and a bunch of others) in the deep end.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #280716 by krileon
Believe you're misunderstanding what got removed. We did not, have not, and will not (for the foreseeable future) removed K2 integration. CB Articles, CB Blogs, and CB Auto Actions will continue to integrate with K2 as they always have.

What has been removed is K2 removed integration support for CB (no idea why, it was like 5 lines of code), which linked authors to CBs profile pages and displayed CB avatars.

As I understand they have (or had at least) plans to create a CB integration plugin, but I've no idea when or why they'd remove current integration before a plugin was ready.

I'll see if this can be done by CB Author Bot, but last time I tried K2 htmlspecialchar the output resulting in it not working.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/5922

If you've feedback for K2 regarding their recent changes please be sure to share it below.

www.joomlaworks.net/forum/k2-en/45150-cb-integration#153133

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

7 years 11 months ago #280717 by krileon
Ok, looked into this and it's not possible to reliably do from CB Author Bot. They don't have triggers in K2HelperUtilities::getAvatar or K2HelperRoute::getUserRoute so I can't reliably replace the profile URL or avatar URL. In addition to that I would need a way to reliably replace the author name of which there is no function to even place a trigger.

So this falls back to being in K2s hands and there's nothing we can do from our end, sorry.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: davisJ

7 years 11 months ago #280718 by davisJ
Hi Kyle, thanks for ur help with this, unfortunately all this tech talk means relatively little to me. What I need to know is, will my current system, as described above, continue to work if I upgrade?

Not sure about her setup but seems like others, such as Victoria have tried and failed..

7 years 11 months ago #280725 by jpdenny1
Hi, I'm subscribed to this as it affects me too. I also use sh404sef which they have removed integration for in the newest version - which I read people refer to as a "downgrade". Is it a case of simply not upgrading though?that's what I had planned (staying with 2.6.9).

Adding articles in frontend through K2, displaying on cb profile is central to what I'm doing. It was a workaround for the database limitation issue I ran into with CB.

K2, disappointed to say the least.

Joomla 3.6.2
CB 2.0.15 Latest Nightly
GJ 3.0.1 nightly
Php version 5.5.35
Auto actions nightly
Activity nightly
Privacy nightly
Conditions nightly
CB Gallery 2.0
.....all nightly!
Uddeim 3.9
The following user(s) said Thank You: davisJ

7 years 11 months ago #280735 by krileon
I don't know what more to tell you guys. They removed CB integration and they did not provide a way for me to replace that lost integration because they've no triggers in the avatar and profile URL functions so I can replace those values with CB values.

All I managed to do was replace avatar url, profile url, and name on articles directly. It was impossible to do this for any of the modules or commenting and I've no idea what other views it wouldn't work on as their usage is inconsistent based off location.

Don't install the latest K2 is basically all I can suggest until they reconsider this decision or add more triggers so I can replace the lost integration via CB Author Bot.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--
The following user(s) said Thank You: akasharkbow

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn