[#6151] IPhone Avatars Uploads Sideways

7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #284869 by Anthweb
Whenever any of my users upload a profile picture from their iphone it uploads sideways. Does anyone know how to fix this? It doesn't happen with android or pcs. I'm using cb 2.0.14 and Joomla 2.5.28.

Thanks,

Anthony

Please Log in to join the conversation.

7 years 8 months ago #284889 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic IPhone Avatars Uploads Sideways
Their phone would be entirely responsible for that. Probably storing a landscape as portrait for whatever reason. They need to rotate it on their phone before uploading.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

7 years 8 months ago #284903 by Anthweb
Replied by Anthweb on topic IPhone Avatars Uploads Sideways
Thanks for the reply but I don't believe that to be the case. Multiple members have the same issue. I just tested it out with my intern on his iphone 5 and he had the same issue. We made sure to take the picture in portrait. As you can see the gallery showed it as portrait but when it is uploaded it uploaded it sideways.
Attachments:

7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #284926 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic IPhone Avatars Uploads Sideways
iPhone stores sideways photos with the orientation in the exif data. I've no idea why they choose to do this, but it causes a problem based off where you're sending the photo. Uploading the raw file for example to CB isn't going to process that orientation as it doesn't have a clue it exists; nor do we process exif data. As I've no apple device I will have no way to test PHP workarounds for detecting exif orientation. Looks like the image processing library Imagine that we're using has a possible fix for this though.

github.com/avalanche123/Imagine/pull/318

Will review applying usage of autorotate usage in our image API, which should allow it to globally apply to all image upload usages throughout CB. For now I do not have a workaround, sorry.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/6151

Note you'll see this issue for example if you email an apple photo, etc.. It appears apple always stores landscape orientated. Even if you take a portrait it's stored landscape and thus will be sideways.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nant

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn