[#6444] Prevent users changing thumbnail/canvas in Groupjive

7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #286868 by LineMine
Hi
I'm wondering if there is a way to stop users editing/changing thumbnails and the background canvas in groups in Groupjive. This is something that is possible for individual profiles in CB, and seems like a good idea for Groupjive as well. I would like to keep a consistent look for groups, plus lots of users won't understand that you need to use a PNG with a transparent background to achieve the same sort of look that Groupjive has by default.
Many thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

7 years 6 months ago #286878 by krileon
No, if they own the group they can freely modify the group. Best I can suggest is to modify the group edit template file and remove those inputs for frontend entirely, but this doesn't block the PHP that handles those uploads. There are no plans to add restrictions like this as it defeats the point of even owning the group.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

7 years 3 months ago #290297 by LineMine

krileon wrote: No, if they own the group they can freely modify the group. Best I can suggest is to modify the group edit template file and remove those inputs for frontend entirely, but this doesn't block the PHP that handles those uploads. There are no plans to add restrictions like this as it defeats the point of even owning the group.

I've been thinking about this, and I have to disagree with you here I'm afraid.

I think it would be really useful to be able to load a number of options for thumbnails and/or canvas images, and only allow users to choose from these. If this was available, for example, I could design a series of logos or thumbnails, which each group owner would select from. These thumbnails would reflect the particular subject matter of the group, allowing a browsing user to see very quickly which groups they might want to join.

Of course, you can do this with categories, but I'm using these differently, and even if I wasn't., I would still really like the possibility to theme the pages which display a number of groups in this way. I would however allow group owners to upload their own canvas images, but again, it would be so useful for admins to have control over this function, in exactly the same way as we do already for user profiles.

Well, anyway, I would like to submit this as a feature request. I can appreciate that it isn't something you are currently intending to do, but I thought it would be worth saying why I think it is a good idea.

7 years 3 months ago #290307 by krileon
A gallery functionality for group logo and canvas would be a great addition. Have added a feature ticket for this for a future release.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/6444

Once implemented parameters will also be added to only allow gallery images if you want to enforce a consistent look.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

7 years 3 months ago #290321 by LineMine

krileon wrote: A gallery functionality for group logo and canvas would be a great addition. Have added a feature ticket for this for a future release.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/6444

Once implemented parameters will also be added to only allow gallery images if you want to enforce a consistent look.

Thank you very much, that is brilliant. Look forward to when it is implemented.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn