[#6286] Group Invitee not Given Opportunity to Join Sender's Group

7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #287430 by jmaxios
Details:
• Group Type: Invite; Invites: Enable
• Non-site user was sent a Group Invitation from a Sender's Group Invites Tab > New Invite button (Invitee's status displayed as Pending after submitting the invitation)
• Invitee received the email and clicked the Group link to join the Group and was taken to the site logon
○ The Invitee clicked Sign up and completed the site registration
○ Upon clicking the sign up button and receiving the Sign Up Complete message, but prior to confirming their email, the Status of the Invitee on the Sender's Group Invites tab was updated to Accepted. THIS WAS NOT EXPECTED since the signup was not yet complete. No joining of the Group occurred, which makes sense, since email confirmation hadn't occurred.
• The Invitee continued by confirming his email and was presented with the message "Your account is now active. You may now login!"
• Invitee logged in and was taken to their Profile without ever being given the opportunity to join the group; Invitee doesn't exist as a user in the Group; The Group, for which the invitation was send, was not found under the Invitee's Profile Group Tab

Since Emails may be used for Group invitations, it's assumed that invitees aren't required to only come from the population of existing registered site users. How can users send a group invitation to a non-site user without making the process a two-step process: requesting that someone register on the site prior to them being sent an invitation to join a group.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

7 years 5 months ago #287461 by krileon
When the user hasn't joined the group invite is entirely tied to the email address. If they didn't register with the same email address that the invite was sent to it will not accept it. It doesn't matter if they're confirmed or approved yet as it'll still accept the invite, place them in the group, and keep them hidden until active. I'm not sure how they could've accepted the invite, but not be added to the group unless you've a group user row with the user_id column set to 0 for some reason.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

7 years 5 months ago #287521 by jmaxios
I've reviewed this issue again and found that the invitee did register with the email address that was used for the invitation and although the invite was accepted, they were never placed in the group. No group user row with the user_id column set to 0 exists.

I set up a test environment for further testing hoping to identify an issue with our setup, but have gotten the same results.

The test environment is setup according to:
• CB 2.0 Tutorials 1 - 5 & 22 (Integration with Kunena)
• GroupJive 3.0 Tutorials 1 & 2
• Admin Approval not required for registration
• The test environment is at www.coolstrudel.com

Here's a summary of the test results:
Group member invites non-site user using group invites (Invitee status is pending)
Invitee receives email and clicks on email group link; invitee is taken to site with Group Users Tab displayed (no option to join); (Invitee status still pending on senders group invites)
After the Invitee clicks the sign up link and registers with invite email address - the senders group invite status displays Accepted; (invitee not yet in group)

Invitee receives confirmation email: "Your sign up request is pending approval;" invitee clicks on email confirmation link and is taken to site displaying "Your account is now active. You may now log in!;" (Invitee also receives "Sign Up" email approving application)
Invitee logs in using registration username and password and is taken to their profile where the Groups-Tab displays "You have no groups." (the non-site user has not been added to the invited group).

I appreciate your reviewing this and helping us resolve this issue.

7 years 5 months ago #287537 by krileon
Was able to confirm your issue. Have added a bug ticket for further investigation.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/6286

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn