[#6432] language key and text finder does not work in German

7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #290104 by carin
When I use the language key and text finder on the German translation with German text in the search field it does not find any string. When I use a key it pulls up the English version of the key although I am in "Community Builder: Edit Plugin [de-DE]". So question is how do I work with languages other than English?

CB 2.0

Please Log in to join the conversation.

7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #290129 by krileon
The language finder only searches default language files as that's what language plugins and language overrides are overriding. Language plugins tend to be incomplete and missing language keys so it wouldn't be very reliable. Your language plugin should be using the same language keys regardless of the language when translating existing strings. Also note the language finder is just a tool to help find language keys. If you know the key already or want to supply a custom language key you can.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

7 years 3 months ago #290133 by carin
If the finder cant find non English text then the finder is pretty useless to everyone working with non English languages. Because that is what you want to change - you see a text on your site in your local language and you want to find it. With that restriction you still have to go through the plugin file like in the old days. Bummer!

CB 2.0

7 years 3 months ago #290137 by krileon
It's extremely discouraging when people want to downplay amazing features and hard work. I've added a feature ticket for it to just search the language keys and strings of the language plugin you're editing.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/6432

Language keys don't care what language plugin you're using as language plugins are translating the English strings using the English keys into whatever language, but as the search is also done on language strings I can understand the need for this.

Folks, it's possible to make a feature suggestion without calling something useless.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nant

7 years 3 months ago #290139 by carin
Thanks for the ticket. I did not call the search useless per se. Of course it is useful for English sites. In the current state it is useless to any other language because if you know the key already why would you need to search for it? Im sorry if it came across as a down play.

CB 2.0

7 years 3 months ago #290142 by krileon
The search will do partial key searches. Most keys contain the first couple words of a string. At any rate this has been implemented and is under review for merging for next build. It now grabs the language keys and strings then the language plugin keys and strings you're editing and searches them both as needed. In addition to this clicking a language result when there's no empty row will insert one for you and copy the key/text over.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn