Joomla Smart Search Support

6 years 4 months ago #300487 by ukphotoguy
Joomla Smart Search Support was created by ukphotoguy
I see a gap in CB becasue I cannot switch a Joomla site to run Joomla Smart Search and still let visitors search for CB members by name.
I see one topic about this from way back: www.joomlapolis.com/forum/154-advanced-members-support/206437-cbsearchbot-and-advanced-search
So is there any plan to provide support for adding say members name/public profile data to a Joomla smart search? The joomla smart search is now a quite powerful tool and effectivly makes search work like you would expect.
I have qa large site that uses CB for members but also has a lot of other information and blogs so having them all in one search is important for me. I would think that being able to integrate CB correctly into Joomla was important to your team and other members??

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 years 4 months ago #300493 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Joomla Smart Search Support
At this time there have been no plans to integrate smart search. It likely won't work with the various complex privacy and access permissions that can be set within various CB installs since it pre-indexes all the data. I'm not completely writing off the possibility of a smart search indexer plugin, but it certainly isn't a priority at this time. I've went ahead and made a feature ticket to review this further for a future release.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/6944

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nant

6 years 4 months ago #300497 by ukphotoguy
Replied by ukphotoguy on topic Joomla Smart Search Support
I get that it's a low priority. but not that pre indexing is any fundamental limit. other plugins monitor changes and updates to re index, also indexing user and name may be sufficient for most. at the end of the day it is a search so would not let visitors access any profile data that was not public. why not commit to supporting core joomla features. might make the whole package more attractive and popular.

2 years 5 months ago #327470 by Spiralmind
Replied by Spiralmind on topic Joomla Smart Search Support
I am switching all my sites to smart search and have heard Joomla 4 won't support the old search. You do not have this option in CB for smart search? I find that hard to believe.

Or am I missing something?

Thank you

2 years 5 months ago #327471 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Joomla Smart Search Support
Old search is still supported it's just not included with Joomla 4 by default. You need to install the search component. At this time there isn't really a way for us to implement support for smart search. The reason we can't support it is because of our various access checks.

Smart search indexes data, caches the index, and the index is what you're searching. It's not a live search where we can apply stuff like privacy checks based off viewing user, field access checks based off viewing user, etc.. so it's just not really possible for us to support it without causing profile data to be accessed by someone it shouldn't be for example.

I'll take a look at it again at some point in Joomla 4 as there maybe some weird way to make it work using Joomla events, but it's likely to be incredibly slow.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

2 years 5 months ago #327473 by Spiralmind
Replied by Spiralmind on topic Joomla Smart Search Support
Is CB compatible with Joomla 4 now?

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn