Open groups - content only appearing in Newsfeed when a user joined it.

4 years 6 months ago #314809 by timstohr
Hi Kyle,
I would like to have the content of any open groups only appearing in the general activity feed if someone has subscribed to that group.
The reasoning is simple. If you have 50 open groups then there will be a lot of activity in those groups.
If you now have also an activity feed (like a newsfeed on all the major platforms) then you have loads of useless activity appearing for the user.

It would be much better if the user only could only see in the newsfeed the stuff from the groups that he has subcribed to...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

4 years 6 months ago #314834 by krileon
That's not how Recent Activity works. It shows all activity the viewing user has access to. Since they've access to the content of a open group then they've access to that activity. Recommend using My Activity if you only want to see activity relevant to you. You can also use the following feature and a custom Asset for an Activity stream to better control what displays. For example you could enable the system action for outputting a follow button on groups. The user can then follow individual groups. Next you could output a stream with the "following" or "followingonly" asset to show activity of things they've followed.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #314842 by timstohr
Ok, showing my activity does not work because I need to show other peoples posts as well... BUT what about making it so that when a user joins a group, then he automatically follows that group? he could follow any group at any time by simply clicking on join and then you put in to the newsfeed to only show the assets that the user follows.

4 years 6 months ago #314845 by krileon

BUT what about making it so that when a user joins a group, then he automatically follows that group?

Yes, that's doable. He doesn't need to join the group to follow it though. To follow on group join you'd need to use the below.

Global
Triggers: gj_onAfterJoinGroup
Type: CB Activity
User: Automatic
Access: Everybody
Action
Mode: Follow
Method: Create
Asset: groupjive.group.[var2_id]
Owner: [user_id]
Load By: By Asset and Owner

You'd then use "following" or "followingonly" asset in your stream. The following asset shows your activity in addition to activity you're following. The followingonly asset only shows activity you are following. You can of course combine multiple assets to output more or less activity as needed.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 6 months ago #314884 by timstohr
OK that would make then a newsfeed stream like I need it. I will try it out...
I now have thousands of groups that have been joined already. How can I add it retrospectively that the people who joined a group also automatically follow it?
Btw I would make this a system action as I am sure not the only one who has this problem.

4 years 6 months ago #314891 by timstohr
Works amazingly and opens loads more possibilities to play around with it and improve the whole thing. It would be great if we could find a way to make this work retrospectively for all group joins that have happened previously.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn