Antispam not working?

4 years 3 months ago #316173 by dbeezley
Antispam not working? was created by dbeezley
I thought I had reCaptcha set up at one time, but doesn't look like it is now. For years I've had bogus registrations showing up, usually with odd or random input and foreign email addresses. I just delete them. Lately, I've been getting these with real email addresses and I've had unhappy responses from these real people (see attached). Maybe I've had some attempts to post to my Kunena forum. I don't see anything there, but I get messages about posts in my Gmail Spam folder.

As I look at the setup for anti-spam, it looks like a lot of complicated variables. What is the best practice I should be using? I've seen paid "cloud" services as well but if it can be handled within CB, that would be great.
Doug
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

4 years 3 months ago #316194 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Antispam not working?
CB AntiSpam can't stop humans. It's not designed to. It stops automation via captcha or block rules. Block rules have to be created manually within CB AntiSpam > Blocks as it's meant to block ip addresses, ip ranges, email addresses, and email domains. Validation rules on your username field can be used to ensure they supply valid usernames. Captcha should already be working as long as the antispam_captcha field is set to display on registration.

With that said a lot of the times those spam registrations are humans. Basically paid a couple cents an hour to create users. Once those users are created they're handed off to spam bots. There isn't really a way to stop them unless they've a pattern you can block (e.g. username structure, email domain, ip address range, etc..).

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn