Issue in Drop Down Multiselect fields

4 years 1 month ago #317623 by dklotz
I think there might be a bug in handling of Drop Down Multiselect Items.

In my CB there is a CB field, type Drop Down Multi-select, with more than 90 values.
In order to keep things tidy, I defined Group fields A - Z and sorted the field entries respectively.
When I try to add new entries, several values (starting at approximately ID #76) appear incomplete, as the "Group"-selector is not properly set. This happens even though I set this value correctly in my last session and saved the CB field successfully:

In the database table "comprofiler_field_values" the entries are stored correctly with "fieldgroup" set to "0".

However, when I re-open the field for editing within CB fields settings, the values are missing again.

In order that I can save changes, I have to re-select the proper Group-values. But as soon as I open the Drop Down field again for modification, the same items are "ungrouped" again.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

4 years 1 month ago #317629 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Issue in Drop Down Multiselect fields
I don't recommend making a massive 90 item dropdown. The UI isn't really designed for such a scenario. There's 4 inputs per item in the UI so that's 360 inputs. It's possible you'll hit PHP input limits are the processing behavior could go bonkers having to loop through all of it. When you've a dropdown that large it's best to consider an external storage like a custom database table the building the dropdown using CB Query Field and its Query Select fieldtype.

I also don't recommend such a large list as it's typically bad UX. They're very hard for users to navigate and are near impossible on mobile. You may want to reconsider the field entirely to see if there's a simpler way to do what you're wanting. For example one great solution is Autocomplete. You can use a Text field with CB Query Field and its Query Autocomplete to query a custom database of values. When the user starts typing it can suggest a value to autocomplete the field.

At any rate have added a bug ticket to see if there's something we can do about large lists like that.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/7921

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 1 month ago #317630 by dklotz
Replied by dklotz on topic Issue in Drop Down Multiselect fields
Uhm.. okay..
Autocomplete is not an option in that case tho.
Will see if I can find a different approach.
Thanks for your response!

Stay safe,
Dirk

4 years 1 month ago #317642 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Issue in Drop Down Multiselect fields
A custom database combined with CB Query Field and its Query Select would be the best option then. So for example you could have the below database table.

id | label | value | group

You could then build a select from those stored values. I have added a bug ticket to see if we can further improve how field values are created and stored, but it's not really designed for such a large amount of options.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.510 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn