[SOLVED] Field validation, Field order and deleting a value

13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #152555 by jazzstudio
Hi, Three things, as you can see from title:

1) I have been trying to validate a field for weeks, but cannot get it done correctly. True, I am not a PERL programmer, but I've read several pages and articles, yet, still experience problems. Most important problem: in the PERL expression, you often use either the forward- or the back-slash. When I input a copied expression (people on the CHRONOFORMS forum helped me with an expression for what I need), I would save the field, BUT, when I go into it again, some of the slashes are simply MISSING. This means, that when I edit that field for whatever reason, I have to remember to RE INSERT the slashes before saving, else the validation does not work.
Additionally, even though folks have helped me with some expressions, I cannot find a simple example of a PERL expression to allow users to input a financial value as follows:

or 1,225.67
or 3,450,231.88

I would like simply to allow folks to enter any of the three above formats, BUT ONLY those, yet, all the expressions I've tried BIND you to the FULL 6 chacters of the second example, THUS, someone who DOES NOT have to enter "thousands", cannot enter their amount, since the expression FORCES thousands. Same with thousands and hundreds if you setup for millions. I would like to give folks the option to enter hundreds, thousands OR millions, BUT, it MUST be in the format with comma-separation and the period before the cents.

2) I am still having trouble with the ordering of the fields in my registration form. I am assigning the fields to the display tabs as needed, and prioritizing them with the numbers at the very right of the list-display of all fields, YET, they still don't always go where I want them in the order on the registration form. Where could I read instructions on this. Have searched the articles and the forum...no joy!

3) How in heck do you DELETE a value from a single-select drop-down list filed?! Once a value is ADDED, it appears you can NEVER delete it. Deleting the text inside the value only causes an error to display that it REQUIRES a value. Now I have too many values, and can't get them removed?

Whoops, I said three, but just remembered the fourth!

4) I am importing a list of cities into a drop-down single-select field. The cities are alphabetised, and I will use the import instructions as found here: www.joomlapolis.com/support/articles/10208 - no problem, BUT, I have a continuation question:

The cities are obviously all in different provinces (counties/states if you will). I have grouped them by province, BUT would like to ADD the province name above each different group of cities. YET, the province should NOT be selectable. If I simply add the province to the top of the list, it will be part of the SELECTABLE values, which renders it useless. I need the province to be simply a "title" in the list, and below it the selectable cities.

Thanks for any help.

Much appreciated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 3 months ago #152560 by nant

jazzstudio wrote: Hi, Three things, as you can see from title:

1) I have been trying to validate a field for weeks, but cannot get it done correctly. True, I am not a PERL programmer, but I've read several pages and articles, yet, still experience problems. Most important problem: in the PERL expression, you often use either the forward- or the back-slash. When I input a copied expression (people on the CHRONOFORMS forum helped me with an expression for what I need), I would save the field, BUT, when I go into it again, some of the slashes are simply MISSING. This means, that when I edit that field for whatever reason, I have to remember to RE INSERT the slashes before saving, else the validation does not work.
Additionally, even though folks have helped me with some expressions, I cannot find a simple example of a PERL expression to allow users to input a financial value as follows:

or 1,225.67
or 3,450,231.88

I would like simply to allow folks to enter any of the three above formats, BUT ONLY those, yet, all the expressions I've tried BIND you to the FULL 6 chacters of the second example, THUS, someone who DOES NOT have to enter "thousands", cannot enter their amount, since the expression FORCES thousands. Same with thousands and hundreds if you setup for millions. I would like to give folks the option to enter hundreds, thousands OR millions, BUT, it MUST be in the format with comma-separation and the period before the cents.

Cannot replicate this issue - at least on my tests with CB 1.3.1 (you never gave version you are using). I tried putting
/\//
in the perl expression parameter of a text field and when i saved the field the value is preserved.

2) I am still having trouble with the ordering of the fields in my registration form. I am assigning the fields to the display tabs as needed, and prioritizing them with the numbers at the very right of the list-display of all fields, YET, they still don't always go where I want them in the order on the registration form. Where could I read instructions on this. Have searched the articles and the forum...no joy!

Can you give an example here?

3) How in heck do you DELETE a value from a single-select drop-down list filed?! Once a value is ADDED, it appears you can NEVER delete it. Deleting the text inside the value only causes an error to display that it REQUIRES a value. Now I have too many values, and can't get them removed?

Cannot replicate on my CB 1.3.1 test. If I empty out a value and then save the field the value is gone.

Whoops, I said three, but just remembered the fourth!

4) I am importing a list of cities into a drop-down single-select field. The cities are alphabetised, and I will use the import instructions as found here: www.joomlapolis.com/support/articles/10208 - no problem, BUT, I have a continuation question:

The cities are obviously all in different provinces (counties/states if you will). I have grouped them by province, BUT would like to ADD the province name above each different group of cities. YET, the province should NOT be selectable. If I simply add the province to the top of the list, it will be part of the SELECTABLE values, which renders it useless. I need the province to be simply a "title" in the list, and below it the selectable cities.

Thanks for any help.

Much appreciated.

This is more of a feature request - CB 2.0 will most likely address such fields.

13 years 3 months ago #152564 by jazzstudio
Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

Ok, one major thing is, I'm not on 1.3.1 yet, so I think I'll upgrade first, and then reply here again if required.

Thanks so far, will get back soonest.

13 years 3 months ago #152740 by krileon

Ok, one major thing is, I'm not on 1.3.1 yet, so I think I'll upgrade first, and then reply here again if required.

Please do upgrade and let us know if your issue persists.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 2 months ago #155036 by snitch
Replied by snitch on topic Re: deleting a value in Drop down list

jazzstudio wrote: Hi, Three things, as you can see from title:

I have the same problem and use CB 1.4
(Firefox and Google Chrome)

I cannot save/apply, the message comes: Value: This field is requiered
So it looks like a javascript checking problem ...

Can someone help here?

13 years 2 months ago #155047 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: deleting a value in Drop down list

I have the same problem and use CB 1.4
(Firefox and Google Chrome)

I cannot save/apply, the message comes: Value: This field is requiered
So it looks like a javascript checking problem ...

Can someone help here?

I don't think you're having the same issue. The issue the user was experiencing was when editing a drop-down field he could not remove one of the values. This is not the case and just now gave it another test in 1.4 and confirmed working. The error you're seeing seams to be you're not specifying ANY values at all. You need to have at least 1 value for drop-down, multi-checkbox, and radio fields. Your issue also seams familiar to editing your profile and not selecting a value for a field which is set as required, please be more specific with your issue.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.277 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn