[SOLVED] all email sent from apache@...... on behalf of...

13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #155509 by ignatius2
Hi,

The "from" line of all the automatic emails sent from My Joomla/Community builder installation now reads:

From : Apache <apache@u15582315.onlinehome-server.com> on behalf of "admin@mysite.com"

I am wondering where this apache sender is coming from and I would like to fix this.

The mail is sent via "PHP Mail function" in Global settings. All email goes through OK.

I have a dedicated server hosted by 1and1 and the email server I use is the one provided by 1and1 (it is not the dedicated server itself)... However this should not matter if Joomla uses "PHP Mail function".

I have spent hours looking into this. Only a few Googlers experienced and reported this problem. None seems to have found the solution.

FYI, "Receive Moderator Emails" for admins in backend user edit, contact tab, is enabled

"Receive Moderator Emails" is set to YES for admins/super-admins needing to receive the emails

I hope that one of you may be able to shed some light on this mystery or point me in the right direction.

Thanks

John

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 2 months ago #155675 by krileon
Never heard of such an issue. Seams like your host or mail server is configured incorrectly. CB has no "on behalf of" feature or anything of the sort. Your host seams to be routing your emails. Please contact 1and1 for best approach.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #155714 by ignatius2
Thanks Kyle,

According to what I read, the "PHP Mail function" requires that a MTA be installed. My Server does not have one. Neither Sendmail nor Postfix is installed. Yet email goes through from Joomla and CB.

How would the "PHP Mail function" know that my mail is handled via another server. php.ini does not point to the 1and1 server... Probably from the domain name itself via DNS... strange.

1and1 says that the "apache@..." address is generated via reverse mapping and that the only place where to change the return address is probably in joomla.

I switch to "smtp server" as my mailer in global settings and everything works as it should.

Conclusion: Even though email is sent from the "PHP Mail function" without a local mail server... It is probably indispensable to have one to make it work right.

Thanks

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn