Language Specific Tabs

11 years 8 months ago #207368 by dimkasta
Language Specific Tabs was created by dimkasta
I am currently working on a multilingual site on J2.5 using the joomla language engine which filters content based on the language specified for it.

I was wondering how easy would it be to edit the field or tab classes to include a language option.
All would display them regardless of language, or selecting a language from a language list would display them only if the specific language is selected.
While editing I would like to have all of the tabs/fields displayed to allow the users to handle the multilanguage content themselves.

Do you recon it should be something that should be implemented as a mod on the code files, or is it something fit for a plugin?
I am new to CB development, so please bare with my ignorance.

Thanks in advance

Please Log in to join the conversation.

11 years 8 months ago #207382 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Language Specific Tabs
CB already supports Joomla language usage. You just need language plugins for the various languages. It checks what language Joomla has specified in its global configuration and displays that language plugin if it exists. Users can set their own language using the user params field.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

11 years 8 months ago #207390 by dimkasta
Replied by dimkasta on topic Re: Language Specific Tabs
Sorry perhaps I needed to be more specific. I need translated field values, not titles etc.
To my knowledge the language plugins handle only titles and other non-user specific content. Am I wrong?

What I want to do is to be able to specify lets say two fields

cb_name_en (english)
cb_name_gr (greek)

and allow the user to store the english and greek versions of his name.

But when another user opens the read only profile, to see only the name corresponding to the selected language. The name field is just an example.

I hope this makes more sense.
Can the language plugins do somethign like that?

Thanks again

11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #207392 by krileon
You can translate field values too. Just use language strings for them. Example as follows.

Type: Drop Down (Single Select)
Values:
1. _UE_NO
2. _UE_YES

You'd then just translate _UE_NO and _UE_YES in CB language files using defines (can use cbteamsplugin method too I think).

The language CB displays is the language the user selected in the user params field. If they're not logged in it'll use the sites default language.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

11 years 8 months ago #207401 by dimkasta
Replied by dimkasta on topic Re: Language Specific Tabs
I really appreciate the effort, but the content I need to keep multilingual is quite more complex. I should have been more specific.
Imagine that users should be able to keep entire walls of text in both languages

11 years 8 months ago #207403 by krileon
There is no feature for that. The best approach for dynamic translation is to use our CB Google Translate plugin available to Professional subscribers or using one of the Google Translate extensions from Joomla.org extension directory.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn