Skip to Content Skip to Menu

[#4102] Name field changes upon front-end profile edit

10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #230142 by NVFOA_Webmaster
A front-end profile edit (of any field or of no field--just clicking the update button) causes the CB Name field to revert to Firstname only upon save. Name Style on Configuration Manager General tab is set to First and Last Name Field.

Only way I've found to revert the record so that it includes both First and Last Name is to either manually go into the individual record in CB User Manager and Save it, or to update the "Name" field in Joomla User Manager. That immediately resolves the issue in the CB User Manager list.

However, as soon as any further update is applied in front-end edit profile page, the Name field immediately reverts back to first name only in both CB User Manager and Joomla User Manager.

Joomla is 2.5.11 and CB is 1.9.

I believe this issue has existed for some time, but has only recently become a nuisance as more users have begun updating their profiles.

Any and all advice would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks--

Jim
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by krileon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
10 years 10 months ago #230144 by krileon
You shouldn't have a Name field. You should have a First Name and Last Name field. Within CB > Field Management only "firstname" and "lastname" fields should be enabled if you have the format set to First Name and Last Name within CB > Configuration. Please try re-saving your CB > Configuration and see if issue persists. Please also ensure you're using CB profile edit and not Joomla. If you've CB Profile Pro installed and in use then please try disabling and see if issue persists.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

10 years 10 months ago #230146 by NVFOA_Webmaster
Replied by NVFOA_Webmaster on topic Name field changes upon front-end profile edit
The Name field does not show up on either the front end or back end CB profile pages. However, it is the first column in the CB User Manager list and is also listed in the Field Management list (albeit it is not published).

It is the entry in the first column of the CB User Manager that changes: If I edit the profile from the front end, the entry in that first column of CB User Manager is reduced to only the firstname. However, if I subsequently open and then save the record in CB User Manager, the entry in the first column once again shows both first and last name.

I can repeat the sequence of events every time and on every record using that process.

Resaving the CB configuration does not alter the results. I do not have CB Profile Pro installed.

• krileon
  • krileon
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #230148 by krileon
Only CB stores first, middle, and last name. Ensure your users are updating their profiles on frontend through CB profile edit. Sounds like they're updating through Joomla profile edit. The storage process in backend is the exact same as in frontend (goes through same API, etc..) so unless you've something installed that could be acting on Joomla or CB profile update on frontend only then there's no reason for backend to behave different from frontend if they are updating through CB profile edit.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by krileon.

10 years 10 months ago #230172 by NVFOA_Webmaster
Replied by NVFOA_Webmaster on topic Name field changes upon front-end profile edit
Edit profile page is being accessed from a menu item and the item is clearly linked to Community Builder--see first figure in the attachment.

The attachment also shows the screen shots in sequence as the action occurs:

Figure 2: User Manager list with full Name for the record in first column.
Figure 3: Profile is edited on front end using the Edit Your Member Profile link.
Figure 3: Once the profile is edited, the User Manager list shows only first name in Name column
Figure 4: Opening and saving that record in the backend (no changes are necessary to effect the action) causes the User Manager list to once again show the full Name.
Figure 5: User Manager list with full Name for the record (restored as it appeared in Figure 2 before the profile was edited).

I know of no other installed packages that might be affecting this action.
Attachments:

• krileon
  • krileon
10 years 10 months ago #230267 by krileon
I see, it's because your lastname field is set to Read Only. It uses the POST data to parse name into first, middle, last. Turn off read only for lastname and see if issue persists. Read only does not apply to backend, which is why you don't see such an issue in backend.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon