What books about PHP are great

18 years 2 months ago #5854 by Almgren
What books about PHP are great was created by Almgren
OK. With so many PHP programmers in one place (and so many helpful people) there must be someone who can telll me what PHP book is good.

I want to learn PHP.

My background:
I program in HTML, PL/SQL, SQL, Java, C, Assembler (a lot of different processors), Basic (yes I admit that one) and a little Javascript . I have probably forgotten a couple of languages, But as you can see, I can program, and I do web application as a living.

But this PHP thing. I have read some of your code and it does not seem so difficult. So I need a book that covers it all, but maybe with a little pedagogic tips along the way.

What do you recomend?

Best Regards
Christian Almgren

Please Log in to join the conversation.

18 years 2 months ago #5967 by Almgren
Replied by Almgren on topic Re:What books about PHP are great
Is everyone selflearned? No one wants to recommend a book?

18 years 2 months ago #5975 by pointri
Replied by pointri on topic Re:What books about PHP are great
Hi Almgren,

I'm fairly new to PHP as well, but I've found that the approach that works for me involves some jumping around between ongoing, systematic reading of books and quick searches in the online documentatation at php.net and--in this case---the Joomla/Mambo code--to fill in the syntax gaps native to its API.

The first book I bought was O'Reilly's "Programming PHP", because it was thorough and practical, and the reading was scaffolded in a way that could probably accomodate any level of experience:

www.oreilly.com/catalog/progphp/

It got through to me because I was coming from two different directions: a design (artsy stuff) and a design (database) background. To me, the content seemed to speak to both perspectives. That was nice.

Joomlapolitan zealot and a somewhat stealthy, rather passive CB3PD developer.
www.constructionlounge.com Construction Lounge: Online resource and networking portal for the construction and remodeling industries.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.301 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn