What you should know:

16 years 1 month ago #59965 by CyrusRex
What you should know: was created by CyrusRex
Everybody knows that Joomla 1.5 is absolutly fantastic. It has many new features and many options for making new and better plugins, components and whatever. The powerful mootools script is build in from the base version, and gives a powerful and innovative interface which is also used by some components (for 1.5)

The Joomla 1.5 BETA is out since more than a year, and in February (or January - cant remember^^) they released the 1.5.

Many things are different now, people have to decide between the 1.0.x Series and the 1.5.x Series.

Did you forgot? Joomla was created for the - sorry - "noobs" from us. Joomla was created for easy installation and administration. But now they have to find out soooo many information before they can decide which Version is better for their own small private Website?

In Fact: Everthings going to slow - and that sucks, and that will be a reason why people starts using different cms.

Sorry for saying that now: But Joomla is Suaheli and means something like together. AND together we have to help to bring the developement forward - help others to decide for the 1.5 - in the End it will speeds up everything.

And for the Rest we only can hope that a change like from 1.0 to 1.5 is not needed anymore, so nobody have to update as lot as it is now.

Thanks for reading

Please Log in to join the conversation.

16 years 1 month ago #59970 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:What you should know:
CyrusRex wrote:

Everybody knows that Joomla 1.5 is absolutly fantastic.

This is subjective. Many agree. It is certainly "stupid-proof" in terms of installation.

It has many new features and many options for making new and better plugins, components and whatever.

The powerful mootools script is build in from the base version, and gives a powerful and innovative interface which is also used by some components (for 1.5)

Well, others argue that it adds a lot of overhead (70K). Look at this post : forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=501&t=266809

The Joomla 1.5 BETA is out since more than a year, and in February (or January - cant remember^^) they released the 1.5.

January 22, 2008.

Many things are different now, people have to decide between the 1.0.x Series and the 1.5.x Series.

True. But in order to decide they need to research. Unfortunately, the hype is with Joomla 1.5.X (and maybe justifiably so). Most website want-to-haves just visit the Joomla.org site and click on Joomla 1.5.X (the latest release). Very few understand why Joomla 1.0.X is also posted for download. Everyone always thinks - I should go for the latest - it is clearly the best.

Did you forgot? Joomla was created for the - sorry - "noobs" from us. Joomla was created for easy installation and administration. But now they have to find out soooo many information before they can decide which Version is better for heir own small private Website?

I agree. I good comparison chart with pros and cons for both series would really help.

In Fact: Everthings going to slow - and that sucks, and that will be a reason why people starts using different cms.

Sounds like you have hit some Joomla 1.5.X performance issues (you should visit the Joomlaperformance site).

Sorry for saying that now: But Joomla is Suaheli and means something like together. AND together we have to help to bring the developement forward - help others to decide for the 1.5 - in the End it will speeds up everything.

And for the Rest we only can hope that a change like from 1.0 to 1.5 is not needed anymore, so nobody have to update as lot as it is now.

Thanks for reading

Well, the CB Team is preparing CB 1.2 which will work (single installation) on all CMS systems (Joomla 1.0.X, Joomla 1.5.X and Mambo).

16 years 1 month ago #60010 by CyrusRex
Replied by CyrusRex on topic Re:What you should know:
first I want to thank you for the really good and professional answer, its not usally to get a feedback like that.

But to get back to the topic now:

I think the biggest fact is that everything is moving forward. Something more slowly, something more fast.

In the Joomla-World is everything going to slow - for my taste.

First i read a thread about the Licences for J 1.5. Theire were any problems between some Core-Team Members.
I dont have to write everything about this Topic, because I think you know what i mean.

And now - there are somedays when I visit extension.joomla.org I think "Yeah there some new Plugins and Components for 1.5 - fantastic" and on other days "Oh God - there is nothing going on. '+#*-?1+*"

Unfortunally there are more bad days as good ones.

I tried to think in "Microsoft Dimensions" - and thought about what they would do?
In Fact they do the same, like every other Software-Company.

BUT - the difference between is the price - AND that is a BIG Difference.

People have to pay for using Microsoft Windows. Nobody would buy a newer Version as soon they dont make it compatible with the older systems.

You have to imagine: In case that Microsoft makes his software NOT compatible with older Systems, and YOU know that, you wouldnt buy Microsoft Systems, because you have allways in your mind that Microsoft only wants to make money, and thats all.

But if Microsoft is free - I dont think that they care much bout this solution. They would make new Versions and thats it. Everything is a one big developining on there.

And thats it - Joomla is for free, and I would decide for the other way. The Way to stop developining the last Series and starts developining for the new ones.

Dont stuck in the past - look forward...to the future

16 years 1 month ago #60024 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:What you should know:
Joomla is free. Whether it's Joomla 1.0.X or Joomla 1.5.X.

IMHO, I think the Joomla core team is progressing nicely. They have managed to release Joomla 1.5 fairly quick - and they have also managed to create and maintain the hype around Joomla 1.5.

You really have to do some research to assess that:

Joomla 1.5.X has performance implications versus Joomla 1.0.X. However (for some reason), everyone knows that the Joomla 1.5.X legacy plugin provides overhead to your Joomla 1.5.X site. I have even read about a 10% increase. Thus, the pressure is directed towards the 3PD to either adapt, rewrite or create a second instance of their extension for Joomla 1.5.X series.

These 3PD have multiple motivations. Some of them just started to code as a learning experience. Others developed something for their own site and graciously released it to the public. These groups will most likely stop developing and in their place new developers will appear.

There is also a third set of people developing for Joomla. These are the "professionals". These people are trying to make a living from their development efforts. This group was the one that was most disturbed by the Joomla teams interpretation of the GPL license and how it supposedly applies to their work. I do not want to start another "hell thread" about this (see Joomla forums - it should be easy to find if you are willing to waste your time). These "professionals" responded in different ways. Some just said - it's not worth it and stopped developing for Joomla all together. Others decided to not develop for Joomla 1.5.X and maintained their software for the Joomla 1.0.X series and also made sure that the software was compatible with Mambo (you see the Mambo teams interpretation of the same GPL license is not as strict as the Joomla team interpretation). Others decided to change their commercial strategy (sell services rather than licenses, etc.).

The Joomla 1.0.X CMS, the Joomla 1.5.X CMS and the Mambo CMS, all have built a nice API for 3PD to extend their CMS and provide added functionality. In fact, so has the CB team. CB has a nice API that can be used to extend it without hacking. But these extensions take time. Learning a new API takes time. Time is money. Decisions must be made.

Look at this forum. I have asked for assistance from the community many times to help out on the forums. Very few do so. On the other hand, I am on a daily basis addressing issues that have been addressed before and newcomers just don't search and just don't read.

All the previous symptoms are present in most opensource - free projects. You just have to live with it or try and help it move faster

For example, you can sponsor a feature. This means that if you have a specific budget (not peanuts) and are in need of certain enhancements, you can contact the developers and propose to pay for these features as long as they are incorporated in the next release. Such development has also been present in the CB world.

Once again - all the above - are just my personal thoughts.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn