Security

17 years 9 months ago #16614 by stb74
Security was created by stb74
Hi

I have just installed CB and to get the user images working I had the change the folder permisions to 777.

I recently had an issue with hackers because of folder/file permissions.

IS this method not insecure, is there any other way I can allow users to upload images without having the folders 777.

Thanks

Post edited by: stb74, at: 2006/07/07 00:19

Please Log in to join the conversation.

17 years 9 months ago #16616 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:Security
stb74 wrote:

Hi

I have just installed CB and to get the user images working I had the change the folder permisions to 777.

I recently had an issue with hackers because of folder/file permissions.

IS this method not insecure, is there any other way I can allow users to upload images without having the folders 777.

Thanks

Post edited by: stb74, at: 2006/07/07 00:19

- You just need that directory with write access from web-server process. Not all directories.

- no help around this until joomla 1.5 is here. And even then, i'm not sure if storing the ftp username and password in a configuration file tp avoid 777 on folders makes it really safer.... :whistle:

- In all cases, you need to keep your web software and extensions up-to-date. Remember: SQL database has write-access from web-server...

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn