Doing big dropdown lists

18 years 4 months ago #2535 by Nomax5
Doing big dropdown lists was created by Nomax5
Hello,

I'm new just joined today, love the logo btw and the site in general

I have a question and to qualify it I'll describe what I'm doing at the end of this post so you don't have to read it.

I have a list of 73 English counties which fits nicely into a dropdown list. within each county there are upto 1,000 villages, in total there are almost 19,000 villages. What I want to do is get members to select their village instead of typing it in. This is important because I want it to line up with my database.

How would you go about doing this please?

this is why: (the qualify bit)

Folksin is an idea I had to create a website for every single Village in England even tiny villages with like 2 houses.

I wanted each one to physically exist so search engines and google ads can feed off the content.

Obviously I want each site to be interesting as in not static so users need to be able to update the Village News etc.

I wanted folk to communicate so each one needs a built in chat system.

And I want people to Find each other like find their real life friends and Family so I'm fiddling with Community Builder.

And I don't have much disk space so each website needs to be around 14kb max size.

So I did it..

created 18,488 websites each with News update, chat, links to nearby villages, link to google map, google ads, tons of stuff.

One problem I have is how do I fit 19,000 villages into a drop down CB selection box .. if I could it would take to long to load, the list alone is 2Mb

www.folksin.com/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

18 years 4 months ago #2537 by mikko
Replied by mikko on topic Re:Doing big dropdown lists
I would do this in one of the following ways:

-copy the google suggest and make a hack or custom plugin with similar functionality

-use the conditions plugin in following manner: first the user selects the county and after this, the list of villages in that county become available

mikko

18 years 4 months ago #2540 by Nomax5
Replied by Nomax5 on topic Re:Doing big dropdown lists
ohh wow there is a conditions plugin? I've been looking for plugins but not found them yet... I'm obviously not looking hard enough.

Thanks for the tips mikko

18 years 4 months ago #2543 by mikko
Replied by mikko on topic Re:Doing big dropdown lists
see the downloads-link

mikko

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn