Access levels and user types

18 years 3 months ago #4306 by dutchmambo
Access levels and user types was created by dutchmambo
User types have a nice granularity (superadministrator, administrator, editor, etc). But I can define the access level only in three levels (public, registered, special).

My problem is that I want to limit access level 'special' to user types 'managers', 'administrators', and 'superadministrators' (whereas now it is 'editor' and higher).

Can I do that, or has somebody a hack to do that?

I realise that groups and user types are part of joomla in general, not of community builder, but the question comes up when you start to build a community, so this seems to me the right context to ask the question.

Thanks!
Bram

Please Log in to join the conversation.

18 years 3 months ago #4307 by mikko
Replied by mikko on topic Re:Access levels and user types
As of joomla 1.0.x, you are not able to do that. 1.1 will implement ACL, see www.joomla.org for details

mikko

18 years 3 months ago #4317 by sunburst
Replied by sunburst on topic Re:Access levels and user types
That's true, however, at the moment the only component that allows you to do this is JACLplus (www.byostech.com/).

It works really well so give it a try. I'm sure there are other ones as well but this one seems to work for me. They also have a patch to work with CB RC2.

thanks,

S

18 years 3 months ago #4322 by dutchmambo
Replied by dutchmambo on topic Re:Access levels and user types
Thanks, that is very helpful! JACLPlus looks very good (however, I am still running Mambo 452, so I'll have to upgrade...). But my needs are very modest: I only need a different mapping of user types on the three access levels (public, registered, special). That should be a minor hack, probably changing a table. Has anyone experience with that (before I dig into the code...).

Bram

18 years 3 months ago #4324 by sunburst
Replied by sunburst on topic Re:Access levels and user types
I'm running JACLplus and that's exactly what you can do. You are better to upgrade Mambo to the latest anyway for the bug fixes and securities. It might be a bit of a hassle but worth it.

Otherwise you can try these:

mamboforge.net/projects/aeq-acl/

mamboforge.net/projects/mospeergroups/

18 years 3 months ago #4371 by dutchmambo
Replied by dutchmambo on topic Re:Access levels and user types
Thanks for your help!
Bram

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn