Newest Blogs - Popular Blogs

18 years 3 months ago #4469 by rick
Newest Blogs - Popular Blogs was created by rick
Need some help. I like the way this site has the Latest Blogs block and there used to be a Popular Blogs block.

My problem is that any time a Blog is created it shows up in the Latest News block. I have created a copy of the Latest news and called it Latest Blogs, then put the item catagory into the block but it won't show the blogs.

What I need is 2 fold, first how do I stop the blogs from showing in the Latest and Popular News blocks. And second how do I get them to show in the newly created copies of the Latest and Popular Blogs blocks?

Thanks,

Rick

Running:
Joomla! 1.0.7 Stable
Community Builder 1.0 rc2
SMF 1.1 RC2

Please Log in to join the conversation.

18 years 3 months ago #4473 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Newest Blogs - Popular Blogs
Hi Rick!
All 4 front page module blocks on this site: Latest Articles, Popular Articles, Latest Member Blogs and Latest Core Member Blogs are basically based on the same 2 standard Joomla mod_latestnews and mod_mostread modules (well the last block on this site is a slight modification of the latestnews one).
This standard latestnews module has the following backend parameters (goto site module and find the specific one and edit it to see what I mean): Module Mode, Count, Category Id, Section Id. You need to find which section id your blogs installation uses and place it here to allow the module to only display these types of articles.
I have also made some changes to the latest article module to add another filter (author id) to allow only articles of specific authors to appear (Core Member Blogs) - if you want I can post this modified module for you.
You can also just copy the mode from the site modules backend to created a different instance of the same module on your site (there is a copy button in the site modules backend).

I hope this is clear.

18 years 3 months ago #4478 by rick
Replied by rick on topic Re:Newest Blogs - Popular Blogs
Thanks for the help Nick,

I got half of the problem fixed. If I click on a News Item they all have the same section ID of 1. If I put a 1 in the "Category ID" field of the block then the Blogs don't show up there.

I still have the Blog block problem. I can't get blogs to show up there. If I go to the blogs and click on them the commen denominator is the Item ID, all of the Blogs on my site have the same Item ID. I have tried placing that number in either the Category ID field or the Section ID field. In either case I get no blogs.

I am using Mamblog but am stumped. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appritiate it. I'm sure it is something really easy and I am just missing it.

Thanks,

Rick

Running:
Joomla! 1.0.7 Stable
SMF 1.1 RC2

18 years 3 months ago #4481 by nant
Category id you shouldnt really have to touch at all.
If you want the module to show everything but blogs then in the section is filter you need to place all but the blog section id. For example on JP the section id for the blogs is 7. Other sections are 1,2,3,4,5.

So if I want the module to show everything but blogs I put 1,2,3,4,5 in the section id filter. If I want to show only blogs I put 7 in the section id list. If I want every time of article I put 1,2,3,4,5,7.

Go to the Content->Section Manager to see the section ids of your site.

Post edited by: nant, at: 2006/01/22 21:12

18 years 3 months ago #4482 by rick
Replied by rick on topic Re:Newest Blogs - Popular Blogs
Thanks Nick,

That did it. Once I went to the Content menu I found the right Catagory. I found that if you can find the catagory then it is easier than Section. The Catagory will show all items in that Catagory where as the Section ID will do the same job jut you have to list each Section ID as you discribed below.

Thanks for all you help with this.

Rick

Running:
Joomla! 1.0.7 Stable
SMF 1.1 RC2

18 years 3 months ago #4484 by nant
Glad I could help.
Just a note - a section has many categories not the other way around.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.258 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn