any ACL built into GroupJive

13 years 1 month ago #157640 by pdekoker
any ACL built into GroupJive was created by pdekoker
I have no need for paid subscriptions, but I do want new users to register to predefined private groups. I want these members to be able to create articles/blogs that only are viewable by members in groups they belong to.

I guess you could call this ACL.

I will be running on joomla 1.5.x.

A second question for the future. If I have joomla 1.6 does CB groups work hand in hand with the built in ACL of joomla 1.6 and it group names?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 1 month ago #157666 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: any ACL built into GroupJive
GroupJive is not a usergroup or ACL management extension, it's a Group management extension for users with similar interests to be shared among other members of the group.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #159693 by mtif
Replied by mtif on topic Re: any ACL built into GroupJive
Hi Krileon

What you say is true, but I think the question/suggestion is still valid.

I have been working with the various versions of GroupJive for a few years. I am delighted with its latest incarnation, a great piece of work - thank you.

But the holy grail for GroupJive (for me) has always been to try and make it the heart of our Groups based user management. I have always wanted to be able to empower front end users with the ability to create and manage Groups, Membership and Access.

GroupJive 2.2 is very close. The missing part is the ability to create a private content area associated with the Group. In Joomla 1.0.x and 1.5.x this was not possible as the basic ACL infrastructure was not there to use. But ACL is present in Joomla 1.6.

I imagine that a base Content Category could be linked to GroupJive, in the same way a Kunena Category is, and that each group could spawn its own nested Content Category, just like Kunena does. The GroupJive group would create a matching Joomla ACL group, and sync users. The GroupJive Group owner could allocate editing rights within the matched Content Group associated with their Group - and decide if the content is generally public or private across (to view) to non Group members.

This may be something you already have in the works, or have discarded because of some obvious flaw. I'd be interested to know.

13 years 4 weeks ago #159800 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: any ACL built into GroupJive
This might be possible with a Joomla system plugin and protect that category similar to how CBSub does, but no this is not something I plan to implement into GJ. GJ is not a membership management extension and never will it be, sorry.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn