Community Builder & Facile Forms

17 years 4 months ago #26210 by LordMerlin
Replied by LordMerlin on topic Re:Community Builder & Facile Forms
He ditched Joomla altogether, and it now using Zope/Plone.

I don't know, but from a business point of view, one should rather try and help the client, instead of turning business away. I don't see how posting the same / similar question on another forum (different forum, different users, etc) can be seen as cross posting.

He asked the question here (Date: 2006/09/25 10:08 - General Requests section),
got no reply, then posted it somewhere else (September 25, 2006, 04:15:35 AM - Joomla Forums), on which he didn't get an answer, then came back (probably thinking it's in the wrong place, or something), so he posted it in the "New Development requests" on Date: 2006/09/25 11:13

He wasn't told that the first post was in the wrong catagory (if it really was?), but no on answered him either, so he tried somewhere else.

and now he's using something else.

I personally couldn't answer the question, since I don't have an answer (I'd love to get one though), but surely one of the 14,000 + users on this forum could have an answer, other than telling him not to cross post?

And why is Joomlancers.com advertised so much? I thought the point of open source software is to be free (yes, freedom of speech, not free beer), but I get the feeling open source software needs to be charged for these days. or is it just me? Why don't they charge for Joomla then? Or CB for that matter?

..... why can't we as a community rather stand together, and produce something for free? If the user wants to, he could donate towards it. There's a odd 30+ OSS CMS' on the net today, and if people just want money for Joomla development, Joomla will soon loose it's stand as a good OSS CMS.

just my 2c

* cPanel :: Fantastico :: RVSkin :: WHM :: ModernBill
* Reseller Hosting :: SSL Certificates :: Domain Registrations :: Affiliate Program
* Blog Hosting :: CMS Hosting :: Forum Hosting :: E-Commerce Hosting

SoftDux- The Leaders in Software

Please Log in to join the conversation.

17 years 4 months ago #26223 by mikko
Replied by mikko on topic Re:Community Builder & Facile Forms
LordMerlin wrote:

He ditched Joomla altogether, and it now using Zope/Plone.

If this fits better to his needs, then it was apparently a better option.

I don't know, but from a business point of view, one should rather try and help the client, instead of turning business away. I don't see how posting the same / similar question on another forum (different forum, different users, etc) can be seen as cross posting.

The problem here is that many people who post to this forum do not see this as business.

Doing work for free hardly qualifies as a business, don't you think?

I personally couldn't answer the question, since I don't have an answer (I'd love to get one though), but surely one of the 14,000 + users on this forum could have an answer, other than telling him not to cross post?

Because for most people there is not a compellign reason to do so, especially if the answer is "you need to code this or hire someone to code"

And why is Joomlancers.com advertised so much?

In my opinion it is the best place to hire a coder to do some joomla work for you.

I thought the point of open source software is to be free
(yes, freedom of speech, not free beer)

It is free, meaning that you are free to use and modify the software as you wish. Programming on the other hand will never be free (gratis).

, but I get the feeling open source software needs to be charged for these days. or is it just me? Why don't they charge for Joomla then? Or CB for that matter?

When there is an opportunity for business, there are always entrepreneur who will set up a shop. This is just the way economy works. It would be rather foolish not to charge money for it.

People do not charge money for many things because they create externalities. In this case business opportunities (for example selling services, like programming)

And if someone would put a price tag for CB or Joomla, this software would become quickly forked (like what happened when joomla was forked from mambo)

.... why can't we as a community rather stand together, and produce something for free?

Would you produce me a site template for free? I could use two or three custom templates at the moment? (You can PM me if this sounds like a deal)

Generally people need a motivation to work. Usually this comes in the form of salary, but sometimes as something else. Can you tell me what good it would do for me to code this person what he needed?

If the user wants to, he could donate towards it. There's a odd 30+ OSS CMS' on the net today, and if people just want money for Joomla development, Joomla will soon loose it's stand as a good OSS CMS.

You are most likely wrong here. Actually, the availability of professional support and customization is a almost a rule for most open source project. A lot of companies do not migrate to OS unless they know where to get support, and they do not want to take a risk for relying on forums where people post "just for fun"

mikko

17 years 4 months ago #26226 by LordMerlin
I hear what you're saying, and yes it makes sence.

In terms of business, it doesn't necessarily need to be paid service. CB is service, hence business. Which is why I say, rather try and help the client :)

In terms of payment, the free templates, etc. If I see someone has contributed in any way to my work, I'd be happy todo the same for him. If a piece of code I downloaded made me sell a website (with support, graphics design, page layout & content setup, etc), then I'd be happy to do something in return for that user. And in my case, I'd rather do something for him (like creating a template), than paying him :)

* Reseller Hosting :: SSL Certificates :: Domain Registrations :: Affiliate Program

17 years 4 months ago #26229 by mikko
Replied by mikko on topic Re:Community Builder & Facile Forms
LordMerlin wrote:

I hear what you're saying, and yes it makes sence.

In terms of business, it doesn't necessarily need to be paid service. CB is service, hence business. Which is why I say, rather try and help the client :)

Business is roughly defined as activities that aim to create revenue, and client as a party paying for a service. The economic transactions (in money or other services) are really in the core of the definition, and since the expected pay off for helping someone here is close to zero, you probably understand why it is not a business.

In terms of payment, the free templates, etc. If I see someone has contributed in any way to my work, I'd be happy todo the same for him. If a piece of code I downloaded made me sell a website (with support, graphics design, page layout & content setup, etc), then I'd be happy to do something in return for that user. And in my case, I'd rather do something for him (like creating a template), than paying him :)

Does 800+ posts and 3-5 plugins on this site count as hard enough for getting a free template ;)

What you are describing above is reciprocity (reply in kind). You only work if you expect to be somehow rewarded. This is not what really happens - people who ask questions usually just go away after they have got their answers. In most cases they do not even post back the code that you have guided them to code.

The problem is that everyone wants people to work for them for free, but do not want to do anything for free. I assume that you would not make me a free template, unless I promise to give you something back?

mikko

17 years 4 months ago #26243 by RedGiulian
Replied by RedGiulian on topic Re:Community Builder & Facile Forms
Francamente non capisco quale sia il problema...
Libertà vuol dire poter scegliere in ogni momento la soluzione più adatta al proprio problema, non credo di aver firmato alcun contratto con CB (che reputo un ottimo prodotto!!!).
Al tizio che dice che mi sono fatto scrivere il codice rispondo che probabilmente questo è il suo modo di risolvere i problemi e non appartengono alla mia professionalità.
Per cose semplici continuo ad usare Joomla ma per lavori più professionali Zope/Plone è soluzione migliore, specialmente quando hai la necessità di gestire un flusso documentale con un potente motore di workflow.
Giuliano

17 years 4 months ago #26251 by LordMerlin
sorry??

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.962 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn